Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Troubles with Buells?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okkomatz has disabled reputation
Default Troubles with Buells?

Like the title reads, has anyone had any problems with Buells? Has anyone had a history with them and can give me a reason to look into them more, or less?

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey
Default Re: Troubles with Buells?

I actually had my heart set on buying one a couple years back, but hated that the bikes at the dealer had puddles of oil under them.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Free Time

octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane

My buddy has a nice '98 S1. Fun bike, but really uncomfortable. As far as trouble goes, the factory paint bubbled (looked like veins!) and he had to repaint the tank, and the carbs vibrated loose. It was running like shit and went he finally tracked the vacuum leak that was causing it to surge it was due to the carb bolts backing out. The thing will literally walk around in a circle if you let it idle on the sidestand.

Fun bike to borrow. Sounds cool. Wouldn't own one.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:07 PM

slamd_s_dyme has disabled reputation

I know a couple guys who have them and hear they are nothing but problems. They are fun bikes but are about as reliable as any HD out there which isnt saying much.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:27 PM

zx636skiv is on a distinguished road

I know that every Buell I ever rode was a blast, but vibrated like any other HD. I have never owned one, and the last ones I rode were the 1st gen bikes, so I know they have improved. I would concider the 1125 since it isn't a Sportster moter first...it is also probably the most expensive. Which brings me to the other reason I have never owned one...for what you get, they are way more expensive than any jab bike out there.

Most people that own them don't mind the small problems they have from what I hear.

Good luck with the decision...just from what I've seen in this thread, I wouldn't own one!! Maybe someone has some good reasons to own them!!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

okkomatz has disabled reputation

thanks guys, yea that sucks about the little problems. I liked them when reading up on them but i guess i need to do a little MORE research to make a final decision.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:12 AM
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe

my fav bike was a firebolt..... UNTIL i went to the dealership here in VA beach and sat on one.. UNCOMFTABLE AS FUDGE!!!!... and like, i sat in all of them, even the new 1125R or whatever its called and didnt like it... i was gonna ride the demo bikes, but didnt even bother.... i still think the firebolt is one of tyhe cooler looking bikes EVA!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:04 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

the only people that should own anything with an HD motor in it are people with some degree of mechanical aptitude. they are more labor intensive than any jap bike, but that comes with the territory i guess. i love buell's. i actually almost bought an S1 white lightning years ago. comfort has never been a priority for me though.

yeah, they have problems, none TOO major, just a few more than jap bikes. they do have a shit-ton more character than the sewing machine smoothness of pretty much any gsxr/cbr/yzf/zx. some people like to know they're on a motorcycle, and things like vibration, etc, aren't as big an issue. buell's are definately a little rough around the edges compared to thier competition, but again, some people like that kinda thing.

would i buy one? nope. if i was gonna buy a new bike of that style, i'd be headed to the triumph dealer for a new speed triple. still more character than your typical sportbike, but a lil more refined (and reliable) than a buell. and they're fun as HELL to ride. and uh... not every squid has one, so at least you won't lose your bike in the sea of plastic
Old 05-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
if i was gonna buy a new bike of that style, i'd be headed to the triumph dealer for a new speed triple. still more character than your typical sportbike, but a lil more refined (and reliable) than a buell. and they're fun as HELL to ride. and uh... not every squid has one, so at least you won't lose your bike in the sea of plastic
patiently waiting here for the local triumph dealer to get a street triple and speed triple for me to test ride

also went and looked at the ktm superduke....if it wasn't $14k I would have bought it on the spot just from the looks alone