Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Stalling when I turn on the choke?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Stalling when I turn on the choke?

omg, are those zip ties?!

also looks like someone needs to do a lil chop chop to the undertail, and get that huge fender outta there!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

super awesome looking bike btw!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:54 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE

The Dori Dori in me started coming out and I grabbed the zip ties. I have stainless locking ties but they're not long enough, gotta grab some of the 14" long ones.

Yeah, that fender is MASSIVE hahaha, I'm going to make an eliminator here sometime soon. Hopefully get rid of those dreadful signal "winglets"

Interested in a maintenance meet? I made a thread in the Cycle Corner.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

yeah sure. If you want, you can come over to my place and we can work on both the bikes in the back yard, I've got a large concrete area. I want to make my fender eliminator too, maybe we could meet and accomplish both at one time.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:02 PM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE

I meant to look at this thread.

https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/maintenance-meet-300017/
Old 07-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

got it
Old 07-07-2009, 02:23 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

ok, just to clear things up....

a "choke" on almost any bike made since the 80's isn't a real choke, it's an enrichener. A true "choke" is a butterfly of some sorts that restricts airflow. Restricting the airflow thru a carb makes the air move faster, which creates more of a vacuum, which pulls more fuel from the float bowl, which richens the fuel mixture. An "enrichener" does the same thing without restricting airflow. It basically dumps more fuel into the mix via a separate fuel tract.

that being said, the "choke" is designed for cold starts. If it's 90 degrees outside, you may not need the choke to start it. That's normal. If it starts without the choke, that's not a problem. It's stalling when you put the choke on because you're making the fuel/air mixture so rich that the motor can't handle it and dies. (warm air is less dense and has less oxygen, making the mixture already richer than in cold weather) That's not a problem either, just don't use the choke.

if the bike starts and runs fine without the choke (low idle aside, it's gonna do that until it gets to normal temps), especially this time of year... then don't use the choke. When it gets colder out, you may need to use it, but in the summer, it's not uncommon to not need it.

alot of it comes down to jetting and how the motor is set up. Air temp plays a BIG part in the way a bike runs, more noticable on some bikes than others. From experience the WORST bikes, when it comes to that kind of thing, are carbed bikes that have had the stock airbox removed and replaced with pod filters. ("stage 3" setups, if you want to call it that)

Last edited by skr00zloose; 07-07-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

Thanks for clearing that up Steve. My bike is stock. I guess that makes sense that when it's running and I open the choke it stalls from going rich. Before I cleaned the carbs the idle/slow jets were clogged and at idle/start it was getting fuel from the choke tract so it would run but just barely. No issues now that it's clean then. Still need to sync them though.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ProbeGT-ZE
Thanks for clearing that up Steve. My bike is stock. I guess that makes sense that when it's running and I open the choke it stalls from going rich. Before I cleaned the carbs the idle/slow jets were clogged and at idle/start it was getting fuel from the choke tract so it would run but just barely. No issues now that it's clean then. Still need to sync them though.
exactly.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
ok, just to clear things up....

a "choke" on almost any bike made since the 80's isn't a real choke, it's an enrichener. A true "choke" is a butterfly of some sorts that restricts airflow. Restricting the airflow thru a carb makes the air move faster, which creates more of a vacuum, which pulls more fuel from the float bowl, which richens the fuel mixture. An "enrichener" does the same thing without restricting airflow. It basically dumps more fuel into the mix via a separate fuel tract.

that being said, the "choke" is designed for cold starts. If it's 90 degrees outside, you may not need the choke to start it. That's normal. If it starts without the choke, that's not a problem. It's stalling when you put the choke on because you're making the fuel/air mixture so rich that the motor can't handle it and dies. (warm air is less dense and has less oxygen, making the mixture already richer than in cold weather) That's not a problem either, just don't use the choke.

if the bike starts and runs fine without the choke (low idle aside, it's gonna do that until it gets to normal temps), especially this time of year... then don't use the choke. When it gets colder out, you may need to use it, but in the summer, it's not uncommon to not need it.

alot of it comes down to jetting and how the motor is set up. Air temp plays a BIG part in the way a bike runs, more noticable on some bikes than others. From experience the WORST bikes, when it comes to that kind of thing, are carbed bikes that have had the stock airbox removed and replaced with pod filters. ("stage 3" setups, if you want to call it that)
its about time someone knowledgeable chimed in. thanks for clarifying that! Now I know why mine doesn't need choke to start right now.