Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Stalling when I turn on the choke?

Old 07-07-2009, 10:39 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE
Default Stalling when I turn on the choke?

The bike is a '91 CBR600F2. I just cleaned the carbs and now the bike stalls when I turn on the choke. I watched for proper operation of the choke slide when I opened up the airbox.

When I got the bike it wouldn't even run without the choke. So I cleaned the carbs (slow jets were completely clogged). So I know the system is getting the extra fuel from the choke circuit. Did I miss something when I re assembled it? Where does the extra air come from to help enrich the mixture? Or do I not understand this the right way? I'm gonna put some seafoam in the tank and see if that helps.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE
Default Re: Stalling when I turn on the choke?

Oh, the bike starts without the choke no problem. I just want to make sure that when it gets cold I can still start it.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

I have the EXACT same problem. It starts with no choke, but idles super low, and idles higher and higher as the bike warms up, up to the operating temp and correct idle speed.

I cleaned my carbs super well EXCEPT the air-cutout valve. My service manual (for the 2000 F4) says to remove the air cutout valve and clean inside there, but theres a valve on each of thr four carbs, and to remove all valve would require disassmbly of the entire carb assembly. I don't want to remove all four carbs from eachother. I think thats the problem though.

To my knowledge, the choke allows extra air into the system, not extra fuel. I could be wrong though.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:50 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

Hmm...I'm gonna dig through my manual in a minute to figure out what's up.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

Yeah, looks like to get to the valve I'd have to break the carbs apart. Really not looking forward to that.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

yeah, i dont want to either. I would rather just wait the 5 minutes my bike needs to warm up to it's normal operating termperature than take those carbs off again.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

+1 LoL, I just put a D&D bolt on muffler from a GSXR on the F2. Damn that's loud.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

i like my quiet stock exhaust, I just dont like how freaking big the muffler is! It's bigger than the ricer mufflers from all the fast & furious movies!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

LOL, I ghetto rigged the mufler onto the bike. It looks hideous but I like the sound. It's a 4 bolt not a slip on so I had to make a flange for it.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:45 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

LoL

Quick Reply: Stalling when I turn on the choke?