Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

R6 Information

Old 10-06-2009, 02:43 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright
Default R6 Information

Guys,

I hope that this is the correct place to ask question from people that have a experience with bikes as well as parts that people put on them.

I am buying a 2005 R6 this week and the current owner has had a rear lowering kit on the bike since he bought it new. So, I was planning on just removing the kit (the owner said that it is a clamp on kit and can be removed) to put it back stock. With talking to a friend he said that since the bike has been lowered for 4 years that the bike may not handle correctly with the kit off (the bike understeers as of now).

So, the question is would that actually be the case, and would I be better off just getting a replacement?

Any help is welcome. Also if that it true and I do infact need to find a replacement shock and spring is there a junk yard that deals with bikes in the NOVA area?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: R6 Information

never heard of a "clamp-on" lowering kit.

99% of lowering kits are just replacement links. remove the lowering links, replace with stock links, and raise the forks back to stock hieght if they have been moved thru the trees to lower the front, and you're done
Old 10-06-2009, 05:54 AM
Your Kneegrow

Chino has disabled reputation

best bet is ebay for links. understeer is probably from the tires...straight line syndrome.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Registered member

Thanks for the comments. I will try to take pictures of the rear spring. I am guessing that it is almost like a leave in spring compressor, but I am not sure. The front has not be touched at all per the current owner.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:56 AM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

he clamped the spring to lower the bike? Wow... you might be buying from a real winner! sounds to me that he tried to lower the bike like you would a car.

like skrooz said.. it should be a link in the bottom of the bike. If you want to get the bike and meet up with me. I have a stock link in my bike and we can compare the 2 and see if you have a stock or a lowering link.

just out of curiousity. How many miles are on this bike and how much are you getting it for?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by FairladyZTT
he clamped the spring to lower the bike? Wow... you might be buying from a real winner! sounds to me that he tried to lower the bike like you would a car.

like skrooz said.. it should be a link in the bottom of the bike. If you want to get the bike and meet up with me. I have a stock link in my bike and we can compare the 2 and see if you have a stock or a lowering link.

just out of curiousity. How many miles are on this bike and how much are you getting it for?

I know what you mean about the way that it was lowered. I think what is the issue with the understeering is that just the rear had been touched.

The price I will not say until I have it in my garage, but it only had 3,300ish on it. It has been out side for a little while and the plastic is a little messed up, but I think some TLC will make it shine. If not time for paint. I am getting it for a lot under the book value.

Other than the lowering issue the bike has not been messed with.

Thanks for the offer to meet up, but I may not put it on th road until next year due to this being my second bike and I have not be on one in almost 4 years (almost starting over).
Old 10-06-2009, 11:33 AM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

Originally Posted by wright
I know what you mean about the way that it was lowered. I think what is the issue with the understeering is that just the rear had been touched.

The price I will not say until I have it in my garage, but it only had 3,300ish on it. It has been out side for a little while and the plastic is a little messed up, but I think some TLC will make it shine. If not time for paint. I am getting it for a lot under the book value.

Other than the lowering issue the bike has not been messed with.

Thanks for the offer to meet up, but I may not put it on th road until next year due to this being my second bike and I have not be on one in almost 4 years (almost starting over).
eh... well... if your in the area, i might be inclinded to stop by and help you out.us
Old 10-06-2009, 02:00 PM
hatrs make me famous

holy crap, someone used a spring clamp to lower a bike? really?

what the hell was he thinking?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:43 PM
yes sir

rollingstock has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
holy crap, someone used a spring clamp to lower a bike? really?

what the hell was he thinking?

15.99 from autozone vs 100+ from a bike shop
Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 PM
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by rollingstock
15.99 from autozone vs 100+ from a bike shop
people that think like that don't need to own motorcycles. They should buy civics with retarded exhausts and big, fake carbon fiber wings, and cover them with "racing stickers".

for the record, you can MAKE lowering links for $10 worth of materials and 15 minutes of your spare time. It's pretty damn simple to drill holes in a piece of bar stock.

Quick Reply: R6 Information