Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Power Commander Question

Old 04-07-2010, 05:22 AM
beautiful struggle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quentin has disabled reputation
Default Power Commander Question

So I bought a used 07' Ninja 650 and it already has a power commander installed along with an exhaust and I believe an air filter. Is there a way that I can find out if its tuned correctly? It runs fine but my gas mileage is coming up about 75% of what other 650's get. I'm getting the gas warning light about 30-50 miles before others. So I think it might be running rich but I have no idea how to check. There’s some buttons and a fuel adjuster on the PC but I figured I shouldn't go fiddling with it.

I know I can download a map from the official website for my bike and for the exhaust set up but what if the guy before me got it custom/dynoed tuned? Can I hook it up to a laptop and tell? I would post on the 650 boards but I figured this is kind of a general question. Bike runs fine, feels strong. Its just getting less gas mpg, that’s what’s got me thinking. The original owner put all this stuff on the bike, 2nd owner isn't sure if it was tuned even though he said he thinks it was.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:32 AM
vangorder

kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox
Default Re: Power Commander Question

You can download the map off the power commander site and compare it to the map already on the PC and see if its any different.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

If it's got a tune on it it's running richer than normal to make the power, so the gas mileage will go down, but for those simple mods that seems like a large decrease in mpg. I'm not a pro and have never messed with a PC before though.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 AM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

Its actually pretty simple.. if you want to bring the bike by to me.. I can take a look for you. Well... First off... it would have to be a PC III usb.

But if it is... here are the simple steps... you can delete the map... so becareful... if you want to bring it by to me... let me know... I will take a look for you.

Plug in the power commander to the laptop
open the program
start the bike
click on the "get map" on the left hand side
This will open the map that is installed on the power commander
It will have a read out in the white box in the bottom of the window
It will say something like "2007 650, intake, two brothers slip-on"
or it will say "custom map" or something like that if it has been custom tuned
If you want to try and change the map... i would suggest that you save the map that is on the bike.

Then you can go to the Power Commander website and get another download tune. See if that one works better.

Good luck... like I said... if you want to stop by, bring you laptop and I can show you. Will only take about 10 min and I have the program already.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 AM
beautiful struggle

Quentin has disabled reputation

^thanks for the advice. Where are you located?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:31 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Take into account the weather too, when it's hot like is has been the last few days, it'll run richer. Hot air is less dense (less oxygen to burn). Don't run it too lean though. A lean bike runs hotter, and when it's already hot out, that's a bad thing. Most Japanese bikes don't have closed loop FI systems, so they can only compensate for weather so much on their own.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:06 PM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

Originally Posted by Quentin
^thanks for the advice. Where are you located?
I am in virginia beach, va... there is talk of a group of us heading out to Quaker Steak tonight though.