Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

I have yet another issue with my bike!??!?!?!!?!?!?

Old 08-12-2010, 05:39 AM
Band

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket
Default Re: I have yet another issue with my bike!??!?!?!!?!?!?

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
if you're running pod filters, you're gonna have more issues as the weather changes, mainly with it running richer the hotter/ more humid it is outside.

my educated guess is that it's running a lil too rich, and the hot ass weather we are having is making it run richer (warm air is less dense than cool air, meaning less oxygen to burn, making it richer, since a carb can't "adjust" like FI can)
If you can, pull the plugs, or at least one (the outside plugs are easy to get to on an old gixxer) and see if they are black and sooty. That'd be a dead giveaway right there.

*edit- i'd also check the coils to see if they are in spec on the pimary and secondary windings. A weak ignition can cuase a plug to load up too, ESPECIALLY if it's jetted on the rich side. I wouldn't worry about the CDI box too much, generally speaking, they either work, or they don't. (with very rare exceptions, of course)
this exactly.

I've got pods on my old CB750 and it's a PITA to keep running proper as teh weather changes.
I also think you're probably running rich. I had a similar problem when the weather started getting REAL hot. (cyl1&2 headers got hot real quick, 3&4 not at all)

Learning to tune your carbs by checking your spark plugs is an invaluable skill. It's the only practical way to tune them while out on the road.
Tip: I use NGK plugs to run but champion plugs to tune b/c it's easier to tell when they're black/sooty/clear white/yellowish

Also, get yourself a multimeter and keep it on your bike at all times. It makes figuring out electrical problems actually possible. Use it to check your coil output. If you have a dead/dying coil it could explain why it sounds like you're running on 2 cyl.