Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Gas

Old 08-06-2006, 12:23 PM
LaShawn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom
Default Gas

I have been running 87 or whatever the basic gas is in my bike ex500 and was wondering if it would be safe to step it up a level or maybe even two. It sounds like there is a little bit of knock coming from the engine and I believe if you go up higher in the fuel it should help get rid of the knock? I have no idea which is why I am asking. I am open to other options though.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:38 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gas

yeah, can't hurt anything. just don't go crazy and start running race gas.

if you're getting a knock, it's probably a good idea to use better gas.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:38 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Most people say you should not run more or less than whatever the manual and/or stickers suggest running. It will merely be a waste of money, and nothing more than that.

Is it knock? ...or do you need cam and chain adjustments?

...if you're truly getting knock, maybe you're not running the same gas as the manufacturer suggests? Maybe you're running a lower octane?
Old 08-06-2006, 12:39 PM
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
Is it knock? ...or do you need cam and chain adjustments?

that's a good point too. ex500's are noisy motors in general anyway.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:40 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
that's a good point too. ex500's are noisy motors in general anyway.

Yep.

So is my 636.

There's a trick to the tensioner to where you turn it off and put it in 6th gear and roll it whatever distance and it's supposed to adjust the cam tensioner supposedly.. Haven't done enough research about it to make it work for me, but it's noisy as it is.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:44 PM
LaShawn

I guess it could be the cams, but I am not sure. I am sure my bike has 1001 problems because that is just how life seems to go for me. Something simple always turns out to be worst case senario. I am sure if I took the bike to a mechanic they would be like wtf...why do you even ride this...buy a new bike. Noob
Old 08-06-2006, 12:44 PM
LaShawn

I guess what I really need is somebody with lots of experience to sit down on my bike and tell me if they think there is a problem because I have no bike experience.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:45 PM
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
Yep.

So is my 636.

There's a trick to the tensioner to where you turn it off and put it in 6th gear and roll it whatever distance and it's supposed to adjust the cam tensioner supposedly.. Haven't done enough research about it to make it work for me, but it's noisy as it is.

that's physically impossible. the tensioner is nothing more than a spring loaded pin with a ratchet to keep it from compressing. if it's making alot of noise, it may just be about to get to the next "click" on the ratchet. alot of bikes do that, they get real noisy, then the tensioner self adjusts to the next step out, and it'll get quiet.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:47 PM
wub wub wub wub

If you were closer, I'd check it out. I'm no mechanic, by any means, but I could probably tell you if it's normal or not. Get on www.kawiforums.com and see if anyone is local to you that would be able to check it out. If nothing else, maybe you could find a few local riding buddies.

I know how you feel about things all going wrong for you though. I have the same luck.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:48 PM
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
that's physically impossible. the tensioner is nothing more than a spring loaded pin with a ratchet to keep it from compressing. if it's making alot of noise, it may just be about to get to the next "click" on the ratchet. alot of bikes do that, they get real noisy, then the tensioner self adjusts to the next step out, and it'll get quiet.

Trey's is much quieter than mine, and he claims that's what he did.

...and yes, my chain is clean and always well lubricated.

Quick Reply: Gas