Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Bought a new (to me) trackbike.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cbr6004sale has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bought a new (to me) trackbike.

dang I had that same bike last year summer. I loved to death. REALLY almost Death so I sold it the build my 71 triumph. chek my old thread for some good pics I had. its the same color and all. Dang I would buy that same bike again If iwas gonna get a ROCKET again your gonna HAVE SOOOOO MUCH Fun the throttle is WILD
Old 02-17-2009, 03:11 AM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

Thanks for the comments guys. Im sure its going to be a beast, I can't wait to get it out there.

I posted a bunch of pictures from the trip in eye candy if anyone is interested. It was a damn long trip.

https://www.vadriven.com/forums/eye-candy-20/trip-road-atlanta-past-weekend-56k-seriously-277361/
Old 03-08-2009, 04:50 PM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

Didn't really want to make a new thread, so I'll just post up in here.

I started tearing down the bike today. I needed to take the forks and shock out to send the thermosman to get resprung and serviced. While I was there, I changed the oil, re-safety wired a few things, installed the vortex fairing stay, and a few other things. Also, my old pit-bull front stand pin for the 06/07 GSXR600 was too big for the GSXR1000, so my dad machined it down with his lathe. Turned out pretty well.

Here is the bike after the bodywork came off. Nothing big:

New fairing stay. I didnt want to mess up the stock one incase I do decide to ride it on the street at some point:

Minus the important stuff:

Money:

I guess I will be sending the suspension out to thermosman to have the stuff redone. I also need to get some new tires, I want a double-bubble windscreen, and maybe re-paint the bodywork.

Anyone have any tips for the bodywork? It looks as if the resin on the top has sank into the glass mat a little, and you can see the weave on the topside (paint side). A friend was telling me I could sand it down, spray hi-build primer, sand, prime, ect till it looks smooth, is that the best thing to do? Also, there is some gravel rash on the left side I would like to get rid of as well, and tips? It doesnt need to look like an AMA bike, but just a little better than it does currently.

Also, the bike itself is kind of dirty. Any tips for cleaning it up again besides regular soap/water. Is simple green safe to use, especially with the Ti-exhaust. Anything else that would work well?

Last edited by onepointone; 03-08-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:30 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Good luck man! I'm faster on my 636 than I was on my ZX10...

Hopefully I'll stil lbe able to run at VIR this year when I get off of house arrest.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

ericlws66 is on a distinguished road

Nice pick up man. What track day organizations are you riding with?
Report back to us on the difference between the 600 and the 1000 when you get to the track.

For the bodywork, how much of the resin has "sank" down? just a couple of spots?
I had some fiberglass showing so i mixed up some resin and covered the areas, after sanding with 80 grit. Then sanded smooth with 220, spot putty that then sanded with 320, then high build primer, then painted it. I also had to repair some major holes too though, so those spots where the least of my worries.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:41 PM
ASE Master

Originally Posted by ericlws66
Nice pick up man. What track day organizations are you riding with?
Report back to us on the difference between the 600 and the 1000 when you get to the track.

For the bodywork, how much of the resin has "sank" down? just a couple of spots?
I had some fiberglass showing so i mixed up some resin and covered the areas, after sanding with 80 grit. Then sanded smooth with 220, spot putty that then sanded with 320, then high build primer, then painted it. I also had to repair some major holes too though, so those spots where the least of my worries.
I used to ride with NESBA, although I may explore other track organizations and possibly enter a race or two depending on how things go. I sent the suspension off to thermosman/ohlins, just waiting for a call.........

For the bodywork, there wasnt any actual glass mat showing through the top side, you could just see where the painted surface was getting a 'mat' type texture to it. I am actually in the process of working on it now. I used 120 grit to get the paint off and smooth down the surfaces. I shot some high build primer on the upper and belly pan and used some type of filler my dad had for some spots that needed to be filled. I also had to buy some fiberglass and resin for the tail section. I plan to reinforce the backside of the tail where it is cracked, fill it in, and repaint. I bought some paint for it, but Im not dead set on the same scheme it had when I bought it. I really wanted to do the same scheme that my old 600 had, but the 1000 had a little red in the tank under the stomp grip and I dont feel like messing with that.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

ericlws66 is on a distinguished road

Ah yea. I just went through all of this on my track bike.
I would recommend getting some epoxy resin. The polyester shit is so much more harmful and harder to work with. The epoxy costs more but your lungs and skin will thank you later.
I had a red bike and hated the color so I changed it. Painting the tank is a pain, but i had dents in it so I had to repair those anyways. If you're doing a good base coat clear coat, or single stage then I'd paint the tank, but if you're doing rattle cans or cheap lacquer then i'd try to match the tank.
Here are some before after shots of my track bike. I went with the cheap line DuPont Nason paint, single stange urethane, $35ish for a quart.
Attached Thumbnails Bought a new (to me) trackbike.-before.jpg   Bought a new (to me) trackbike.-after-small.jpg