Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Am i completely screwed?

Old 03-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seanazzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am i completely screwed?

first off i stripped the damn allen bolt for the break pad pin and had to drill and extract it...that's taken care of. then on the opposite caliper, accidentally over torque the break pad pin and instead of it stripping like the other one, it freakin cracked the CALIPER!! should i just replace the outside section of the caliper (wouldn't i need new orings, pistons etc) , or try to weld and tap a new hole (think it's aluminum though), or best off getting a whole new caliper/piston set for that side? thanks for any info...this is really putting a damper on my early riding and my first track day is less than a month away. any ideas would be greatly appreciated...thanks!
Old 03-03-2007, 03:18 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: Am i completely screwed?

wow.. can't say i've ever seen that happen before. how much freakin torque were you putting on the pin, dayum??

go to a salvage yard, buy used calpier, install, bleed, enjoy.

i don't think you can buy half a caliper, you'd probably have to buy the whole thing. don't try and have it welded. brakes aren't something you want to half-ass.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

i was reading nm's (newton meters) instead of ft/lbs but it was only 4 over...guess that'll do it but doesn't make much sense since the other caliper's break pad pin freakin' stripped...sick of freakin allen bolts!

that's how the shops are tryin' to sell em and 270 bucks for the half...insane! yeah, i'm just gonna get a set off ebay or salvage yard. thanks a lot
Old 03-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

suzuki doesn't sell them by the halves, you can only buy it as a complete side... they might be confusing half, as in there are two calipers and you buy them individually left and right, if they really are splitting them up into halves and selling them then thats ridiculous

if i remember right your bike as well as the same year 600/750's all have the same calipers so theres probably a good supply of used ones out there
Old 03-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

sweet thanks a lot. yeah, think i found a deal right near my house so should work out well.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:46 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Brakes are considered safety equipment. There should never be any question of trying to "fix" something like that. Too risky.