Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Question about the MSF Course?

Old 03-03-2007, 05:37 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LudeBehavior21 will become famous soon enough
Default Question about the MSF Course?

Here is the situation I am scheduled to take the MSF course here soon and I have a friend who signed up with me but is now having second thoughts. The reason being because the only experience he has had is on a dirt bike like twice. I have told him that there are going to be people with various amounts of experience in the class. He said he would rather wait and get his permit first but I told him it is better for him to take this seeing as it is in an contained enviroment and the teach you some good things. So I guess my question is for those of you that have taken the course, are there people usually in the class with limited riding experience?? Just so I can reassure him.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:51 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: Question about the MSF Course?

the msf is designed for people with ZERO experience. it'd be a MUCH better idea to take the course with instructors there to help you in the early stages than to just go get a permit and attempt to learn on your own, on the street, with no one there really to tell you what you're doing wrong, or right.

and besides, you get to ride thier bikes and risk dropping them while you learn, rather than your own. and just for the record, if you do happen to drop a bike during the msf, that doesn't mean you automatically fail. i've seen many a person drop a bike during the course, and still walk out with a passing grade.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

LudeBehavior21 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
the msf is designed for people with ZERO experience. it'd be a MUCH better idea to take the course with instructors there to help you in the early stages than to just go get a permit and attempt to learn on your own, on the street, with no one there really to tell you what you're doing wrong, or right.

and besides, you get to ride thier bikes and risk dropping them while you learn, rather than your own. and just for the record, if you do happen to drop a bike during the msf, that doesn't mean you automatically fail. i've seen many a person drop a bike during the course, and still walk out with a passing grade.
Thanks for the information, appreciate it.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Indeed

BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX

Seriously, tell your friend my wife passed the course without dropping and the only thing two-wheeled she'd ever been on was a bicycle. Not only that the class is alot of fun and makes you much more confident. We're both new riders but I feel alot better about being out there now than I previously did. It's well worth the money and the insurance discount is
Old 03-03-2007, 07:35 PM
d00d

duder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LudeBehavior21
Here is the situation I am scheduled to take the MSF course here soon and I have a friend who signed up with me but is now having second thoughts. The reason being because the only experience he has had is on a dirt bike like twice. I have told him that there are going to be people with various amounts of experience in the class. He said he would rather wait and get his permit first but I told him it is better for him to take this seeing as it is in an contained enviroment and the teach you some good things. So I guess my question is for those of you that have taken the course, are there people usually in the class with limited riding experience?? Just so I can reassure him.

We had everyone from a cop who rode an r6 to a ditsy lady who kept on dropping her bike and running away from it. It's designed for all levels.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:48 AM
beautiful struggle

Quentin has disabled reputation

I worked at one last summer, there were 40yr old women who never been on dirtbike/motorcycle who passed. They start w/the baby steps then move up.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

Bustadust can only hope to improve

yea tell your friend i did what he was thinking about doing, i got my permit and was already riding the streets before takin the class..and the first day of riding was very boring to me..they start u from ZERO experience seriously.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:09 AM
aka GSXR

Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy

Originally Posted by Bustadust
yea tell your friend i did what he was thinking about doing, i got my permit and was already riding the streets before takin the class..and the first day of riding was very boring to me..they start u from ZERO experience seriously.
yeah, thats no joke, I had never ridden a motorized scooter or moped or dirtbike in my life, and the MSF class was the first time I had ever ridden a motorcycle, it was A LOT easier than I had expected, the only 2 people that didn't pass from my class were the two people that would obviously kill themself by running off the road into a tree.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:11 PM
yard man

professorman has disabled reputation

yea, the first day, they sart you off from EVERYTHING. You have to walk the motorcycle with your feet on the ground. It dont get no simpler than that. They teach you from the very baby steps all the way up. I hear that the DMV test is actually alot harder. He should go ahead and get his permit though, because he would automatically get his license after doing the course. He do not need the permit though. The permit is simply passing the written test at DMV.