Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

WTF Geico? Dropping the STI cause it is "too modded"???

Old 05-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT
Default Re: WTF Geico? Dropping the STI cause it is "too modded"???

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Wow! I thought they would be alot better.

I pay $170 a month for the bike, the Z/28 and Legacy with 2 drivers and have 300k/100k/300k and other stuff in coverage. No other insurance company can even come close to this.
Liberty Mutual is awful. When I bought my first Legacy GT they refused to even insure me and now the are about $2k a yr higher than GEICO (who I'm with.)

170/mo doesn't sound all that good? For one a Legacy is one of the least expensive cars to insure. I'm 23 with 2 tickets and on a policy with my g/f who has 2 tickets and 300/300 100 limits (just like yours) I pay about 130/mo for full coverage on a legacy gt, 2007 Suzuki Reno, and a 2002 Mazda protege. Then again, different underwriting criteria makes a unique experience for each consumer when it comes to insurance companies. When is the last time you shopped? GEICO has made some recent changes in VA that allow them to offer lower rates as of late. I can vouch GEICO is a fantastic company, I've had them off and on 7 years. If you have a specialty vehicle (heavily modified) then you need specialty insurance, for your own sake more than anything else.

Last edited by BlackOnBlackGT; 05-02-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

Tujin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Will Sol
USAA - FTW!

I have never had any issues and I mentioned to them I might supercharge the Bullitt when I first got it - They simply said call and we will adjust your policy to cover it and the increased cost.

I pay a little more to get peace of mind.

And not to be a dick but if you can't afford to insure the car as what it really is, maybe you shouldn't of bought it??
Odd. I have USAA as well, and they told me to just keep proof (pictures, receipts, etc) of any modifications I did to the car and that they'd cover it. Nothing about increasing costs. Hrm I should call them again.

Anyway, on topic, USAA ftw. They seem to be one of few companies that actually care about you being happy. And they were way cheaper than anyone else.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 PM
LXRY STI

SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik

USAA has never been cheap for me. I do quotes every once in a blue moon, and the cheapest I ever got was $185. I just did a quote last night and they want $450 a month. The only thing that has changed on our driving records is my not at fault accident and my husband got a reckless (76/55) that was lowered to an improper equipment in court a few months back. But shouldn't the reckless be off his driving record since the offense was lowered? I don't know how it works. I'm gonna try giving GEICO a call tomorrow and talk to them. If it doesn't work I think we are just going to have the STI insured through a different company by itself (might not be a good idea since we get the multicar discount and we have our home insurance through them too so we get that discount). Either way my insurance won't be that much...lol. BlackOnBlackGT is right....Legacy's are very cheap to insure.....they don't even look at the fact that it is turbocharged....better for me
Old 05-03-2010, 01:58 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken
You might want to pm caleb (Mr.Projekt). He works for Geico and can fill you in about this. If I remember correctly, he once told me that Geico will only insure up to $10,000 worth of mods on any given car. I'm assuming that they perceived your mods to be greater than that amount. Considering your car in question is a brand new STI, I could see your modded total being pretty high up there.
According to my roommate who works for Geico, they no longer cover modifications according to some state law in VA.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:12 PM
What's next?

NVR KNO NVR KNO NVR KNO NVR KNO NVR KNO NVR KNO NVR KNO NVR KNO NVR KNO NVR KNO NVR KNO

A ticket is going to stay on your driving record for "insurance purposes" for 5 years. They can only surcharge points against a ticket for 3 years, but still underwrite for 5 years.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

brfatal has disabled reputation

That's what he gets for having those wheels.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:04 PM
LXRY STI

SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik

Originally Posted by brfatal
That's what he gets for having those wheels.
Thanks for your valuable 18th post
Old 05-03-2010, 04:10 PM
speedbumps suck

silversleeper6 has disabled reputation

they definitly are cheaper and better than almost any insurance co. out there.....they cover my car with all the mods and any new mods i just let them know and they adjust
Old 05-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Registered member

BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT

Originally Posted by elambz
According to my roommate who works for Geico, they no longer cover modifications according to some state law in VA.
Your roommate is wrong.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:29 PM
ladies love my foam.

iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam

Originally Posted by BlackOnBlackGT
Your roommate is wrong.
+1

lolz