Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Vtec controller

Old 08-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Vtec controller

Originally Posted by Si_AN_B-EAZY
so would I have to retune my ECU if I remove the VTEC controller or should it be fine?
If you're not too far from stock, the stock ECU should be fine. You could get tuned if you want, or just get someone to change the VTEC crossover RPM, etc., depending on what you need.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you're not too far from stock, the stock ECU should be fine. You could get tuned if you want, or just get someone to change the VTEC crossover RPM, etc., depending on what you need.
I have a Skunk 2 ecu already in the car which has some base tuning but Im wondering if I remove the VTEC controller, will I need to retune the aftermarket ECU to get the car to run right?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

I have a Skunk 2 ecu already in the car which has some base tuning but Im wondering if I remove the VTEC controller, will I need to retune the aftermarket ECU to get the car to run right?
It will probably go back to running your base ecu tune and maps that came with the skunk2 ecu or wherever it was set before you added the vtec controller.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It depends on how much of the tuning is currently done in the VTEC controller. Your ECU is already chipped though, so getting it tuned with Crome is really easy. If that ECU didn't come directly from Skunk2, the chip thats in it is a fake, and probably isn't the least bit tuned for your engine anyway.
You still haven't listed what mods you have..
Old 08-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

It depends on how much of the tuning is currently done in the VTEC controller. Your ECU is already chipped though, so getting it tuned with Crome is really easy. If that ECU didn't come directly from Skunk2, the chip thats in it is a fake, and probably isn't the least bit tuned for your engine anyway.
You still haven't listed what mods you have..
The ECU came directly from Skunk 2 and to my knowledge is on the base map that cam wth it.

Sorry, as for mods I have CAI, DC 4-2-1 header, exhaust w/ hi flow cat, Skunk 2 ECU, and the VTEC controller.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Racetracks

So if that Skunk2 basemap is for roughly those mods, you should have no problem getting rid of the VTEC controller. Well, if that Skunk2 is for a basically stock setup, you'll be fine. Your mods aren't far away from stock that a mildly modified (or stock) program won't run them great.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Function > Form

So if that Skunk2 basemap is for roughly those mods, you should have no problem getting rid of the VTEC controller. Well, if that Skunk2 is for a basically stock setup, you'll be fine. Your mods aren't far away from stock that a mildly modified (or stock) program won't run them great.
Ok, thats what I figured. Ill be rid of that pesky contoller soon. Thanks for the help JROW and Fabrik8
Old 08-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Racetracks

Help make the world a better place, get tuned and ditch your piggyback controllers!!!