Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Rim look-a-likes

Old 07-27-2008, 04:33 PM
its not a trans am..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6 99formulam6
Default Re: Rim look-a-likes

if they're SFI or J2530 approved then that is all that matters

Pick what you like and put it on your car. Its your money.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
V12
Registered Member

V12 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by vbspec
I'm very surprised to see that people on this site are giving logical answers to this question. I've been in many discussions about non brand name wheels. There are all kinds of pics of knock off wheels that broke and the guys who think expensive wheels are the only way to go jump all over them. There is never any story behind the pics so what actually happened will never be public. All wheels can fail; in a given situation they could be considered wear items. Slamming pot holes, smacking curbs, or even a small fender bender can stress a wheel and lead to its failure.

For all the guys who talk about forged wheels being stronger here is an SSR Competition failing.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jsJzuzhzu6M
They break too.
HRE had several high profile failures and eventually led them to get banned from several racing series. Their quality doesn’t seem to be any better than knock-off wheels.

They were banned in the Viper Racing League after 9 (yes 9) failures in a single weekend. Apparently tolerances are so poor that the tires often rotate on the rim themselves as the rims are often slightly too small.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Show-lo car

nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2

Originally Posted by vbspec
For all the guys who talk about forged wheels being stronger here is an SSR Competition failing.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jsJzuzhzu6M
They break too.
wholly crap!!! fake or not.. ill never by a skinny spoked wheel again!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Madison Motorsports

white97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond repute

in my personal experience, those who have the real versions of the wheels never see track/auto-x time. Im not saying everyone who has real wheels doesn't see track time. I bought Rota Boosts for the looks, weight (1lb heavier than Advans) and the value, and from a reputable seller who has seen them abused on track and they have held up. Bend a Rota out $150, Bend an Advan out $500+. I auto-x my car with the Rotas, but once I start tracking the car im getting some dedicated track wheels that are cheap and I wont care if they get ruined by track pads, i.e. EVO 8 Enkeis. I couldnt afford the Advans, and wouldn't buy them if i could, i would prefer to spend my money on something else.

Haters wanna hate.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:59 PM

Kim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud of

www.wheeldude.com
Old 07-28-2008, 08:10 AM
OH SO SHINEY!

nushine_drifter is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm rocking some Carlson Replicas.....haven't had a problem yet, and they look damn good to me
but i wouldn't take them to a track or anything.

Last edited by nushine_drifter; 07-28-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:02 AM
FUCK YOUR KNOCK OFFS

TonyTouch. will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ShawnD
Other than being fake and a whole lot cheaper, is there any downside to them?
yea theyre fake
Old 07-30-2008, 05:16 AM
Fuckinitupagain

Strychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to behold

I have Rota Boosts and so far no problems even with them having skinny spokes.

Another thing, people who $1,000-2,000 wheels on a car that is worth less than $5,000 is fucking stupid.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:47 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

If you track a car, I wouldn't get generic parts. That includes wheels, suspension, brakes, etc.

Emphasis on "if."