Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Questions about salvage rebuild process in VA

Old 11-29-2007, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
va240 va240 va240 va240 va240 va240 va240 va240 va240 va240 va240
Default Questions about salvage rebuild process in VA

Hey there folks. I've got a few questions on the salvage rebuild process for cars in VA. If any of you have been through this before please help me!

I've recently purchased a car with a salvage certificate from a friend of mine who was side swiped in DC. The damage to the car is primarily cosmetic on the passenger side of the vehicle.

I'm a little familiar with the salvage rebuild process based on what I read on the DMV website:

1. I think I need to bring the signed over salvage certificate, bill of sale, and repair estimate to DMV to get a new salvage certificate in my name.

2. When I go to DMV with the paperwork at that point I get assigned a DMV inspector. The inspector supposedly will call me sometime later to schedule a time to come inspect the vehicle.

Does all this sound correct so far?

So then the inspector will come to my house to inspect the vehicle. What should I expect during this inspection? Is it primarily a safety inspection (like the annual state inspection) along with anti-theft inspection? I guess I'm wondering what all they inspect while looking at the vehicle?

Does the inspector check emissions equipment, proper lights, bumper clearances, tire tread depth, what?

Now would be a great time to mod the vehicle (fiberglass bumpers, fenders, hood) but I'm concerned it may not pass the inspection if the panels aren't OEM style panels.

Please help! Thanks!
Old 11-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QUICKVIII has disabled reputation
Default Re: Questions about salvage rebuild process in VA

He will be there to make sure the car has been repaired to a safe / roadworthy condition. Each inspector is different, they can be a pain or they can stand back 20 feet and say hey it looks ok from here. But the law requires you to repair it to pre-accident condition. Question on fiberglass replacement parts should be directed to the inspector prior to your installation. And let me assure you, If he don't like it, you aint gettin him to sign off on it. So maybe repair the car correctly first, let him inspect it and then replace the body parts after he leaves. And remember, once the car has a salvage title assigned to it, you will never get Va to make the title "clear" again. That means it will say "Salvage Rebuilt" on the title from now on. But does allow you to put it back on the road. Hope this helps...