Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

pulstar plugs

Old 11-29-2007, 09:25 PM
get good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n-body n-body n-body n-body n-body n-body n-body n-body n-body n-body n-body
Default pulstar plugs

anyone use them? think they are legit?

http://www.pulstarplug.com/
Old 11-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Re: pulstar plugs

I have some ocean front property in Kansas for sale.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 PM
yaaat.

ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I have some ocean front property in Kansas for sale.
Taking trades?
Old 11-30-2007, 05:02 AM
Standartenführer

euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus

I saw these reviewed several times and saw people posting that they do ACTUALLY work, so the only way to tell it try them. The company who makes them is reputable and did file some technology patents on those plugs.

That being said I have yet to find a single freaking Dyno test done by a person who bought them that proves any gains.

Last edited by euthorus; 11-30-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:04 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Fine... they spark better than an "regular" plug. But... in most cars you will not get a gain unless your oem equipment was defective to begin with.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:41 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by euthorus
That being said I have yet to find a single freaking Dyno test done by a person who bought them that proves any gains.
There is probably a perfectly logical reason for that: They don't have measurable gains.

I'll believe the hype when the dyno results back it up. I'm really skeptical about these, because if I remember correctly once the spark is hot enough to properly start the combustion process, anything above and beyond that doesn't net any gains. There is some merit in the multi-fire (multi-spark, which Pulstar isn't) systems, if the cylinder head has some design flaws and it doesn't combust that great by itself, but adding a much higher intensity spark doesn't net anything. This is exactly what Brian said, this might only help if you have some kind of design defect.
Better yet, the ECU is going to correct for any changes in ignition speed anyway. If the Pulstar plug starts ignition faster, the ECU will knock the timing back into the safe range.

There have been a number of devices that work similar to this and none have caught on, and as far as I can tell it's because none of them actually works well enough to justify the price. Prove to me that the Pulstar plugs at $25 each (yikes) will have a justifiable improvement over what I'm using now, and then I'll give them a second glance.
I would imagine that using the money for a proper tune up would be a much better investment. Switching to synthetic oil and tranny fluid would probably add more power than these special plugs too..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-30-2007 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:57 AM
get good

n-body n-body n-body n-body n-body n-body n-body n-body n-body n-body n-body

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
There is probably a perfectly logical reason for that: They don't have measurable gains.

I'll believe the hype when the dyno results back it up. I'm really skeptical about these, because if I remember correctly once the spark is hot enough to properly start the combustion process, anything above and beyond that doesn't net any gains. There is some merit in the multi-fire (multi-spark, which Pulstar isn't) systems, if the cylinder head has some design flaws and it doesn't combust that great by itself, but adding a much higher intensity spark doesn't net anything. This is exactly what Brian said, this might only help if you have some kind of design defect.
Better yet, the ECU is going to correct for any changes in ignition speed anyway. If the Pulstar plug starts ignition faster, the ECU will knock the timing back into the safe range.

There have been a number of devices that work similar to this and none have caught on, and as far as I can tell it's because none of them actually works well enough to justify the price. Prove to me that the Pulstar plugs at $25 each (yikes) will have a justifiable improvement over what I'm using now, and then I'll give them a second glance.
I would imagine that using the money for a proper tune up would be a much better investment. Switching to synthetic oil and tranny fluid would probably add more power than these special plugs too..
how would you know if the cylinder head has a design flaw? the ecu/pcm will only pull timing if there is KR and for those of us with tuning ability thats no sweat to fix.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I'm not saying you'll know if the head has a design flaw. You may find out if you magically pick up power with these plugs though. I'm saying that combustion should be efficient enough with a standard spark plug, and there shouldn't be any gains if the combustion is complete, unless there is some design flaw that doesn't allow complete combustion with a normal plug./