Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

plugs?

Old 10-23-2003, 06:42 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WillRace4Food is an unknown quantity at this point
Default plugs?

Ok everyone seems to be using NGK Iridiums (mustang drivers)... I was considering some Bosch Platinum 4's but I want everyone else's opinion... what would be the best spark plugs for a 97' stock mustang cobra running 93 octane fuel and right now she's runnin a bit rich but that should be fixed by this weekend (hopefully)... so yea if I go for the NGK's i need to know asap so i can order them... also where's the best/cheapest site to get these?
Old 10-23-2003, 06:48 AM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

arent you workin at autozone? they dont distribute NGK products? i know napa does
Old 10-23-2003, 06:48 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

Bosch plugs suck.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:54 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

if you dont have anything done to the car, use stock plugs....
Old 10-23-2003, 07:03 AM
Biding time

montman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these parts

I wouldnt worry too much about spark plugs until you're running some sort of power adder.

Just get some nice copper motorcraft or autolite plugs.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:53 AM
RS Doscientos

litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic

Get the ones that add the most horse power!!!!!!

What does it mean when you ask what kind of spark plugs to run in your car???
Old 10-23-2003, 11:05 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

I ordered mine from sparkplugs.com. I'd suggest that unless you are spraying go with the NGK Iridiums, otherwise go with a slightly colder copper plug.

To all who need to be schooled:

Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200=F higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever. Prior till now, spark plug manufacturers have favored platinum for their long life or performance spark plugs due to its high melting point, also the technology did not exist to machine and bond iridium on a spark plug electrode(at least in a cost effective manner). Champion spark plugs had already made an iridium industrial application spark plug, but it still sells for over a hundred dollars per plug. Just now is the technology available to effectively use iridium in a spark plug for automotive applications. The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium make it very well suited for a fine wire plug. The primary iridium plug manufacturers at this time are Denso with a 0.4mm center electrode and NGK with a 0.7mm center electrode. Both are the best performance plugs on the market for traditional automotive use and many racing applications.
SIDENOTE: Thus far the tech's we have spoken with report no problems using iridium plugs with Nitrous.

Fine wire center electrode come under a variety of names depending on manufacturer, IETapered point, Ultra-Fine electrode, Taper cut electrode, Necked down electrode). Originally designed to improve starting and reduce fouling in two-stroke engines, this design was found to improve performance in four-stroke engines as well. All operate on primarily the same principle, a spark plug with fine wire electrodes will perform better than a traditional plug. There are two reasons for this, first is because a smaller center electrode requires less voltage to jump the gap. This means fewer misfires, which should be seen in higher mileage and more horsepower. The second reason is smaller center electrodes reduce quenching. The smaller center electrodes have required exotic metals such as platinum or iridium so that they can still maintain (and sometimes surpass) the longevity of a traditional spark plug. Currently the finest wire performance plugs available are made by Denso at 0.4mm diameter and by NGK at 0.7mm diameter, a traditional center electrode is typically 2.0 to 2.5mm.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

WillRace4Food is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spark plugs

thanx vm for that wonderful bit of info... i schooled myself awhile ago tho reading it off their site but thats what i was wondering: are their claims true, are these plugs the gods of all other plugs or would it be smarter just to stick with stock plugs? btw I should have some sort of a power adder sometime in the NEAR future (nothing fancy like a blower or nitrous tho)
Old 10-23-2003, 06:59 PM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

The big bonus IMO is that these will last a hell of a long time because, unlike platinum, there's no pressed on "tip" that will fall off over time. The entire electrode is solid Iridium, so it should stay carbon free forever.

I'm sure the fine tip electrode will provide a slightly hotter spark, but I doubt it's anything to write home about. When I got mine in there was a slight improvement, but that was probably just because my old plugs were dirty as a mofo (NGK TR6s)
Old 10-24-2003, 04:36 AM
Biding time

montman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these parts
Default Re: spark plugs

Originally posted by WillRace4Food
or would it be smarter just to stick with stock plugs? btw I should have some sort of a power adder sometime in the NEAR future (nothing fancy like a blower or nitrous tho)
Just curious, but what kind of power adder are you talking about if not a blower or nitrous? (turbo modulars are rare)

Quick Reply: plugs?