Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Paint job

Old 10-14-2004, 06:31 PM
1997 Dakota 3.9L V6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squier8484 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Paint job

I'm sure there are a bunch of threads about this but I just wanted to share my story as well as ask the question....

I just got my '97 Dodge Dakota Tuesday the 12th. This had to of happened either yesterday or last night, but some jerk put a good size scratch/dent on my left back fender. Also there is what looks like a long dent/scuff a little above that running almost the whole bed of the truck. Now what kind of a person would scratch up a truck or car with 30 day tags on it? That is really messed up. I hadn't had the thing 48 hours yet. I have full insurance on it but there is a $500 deductible and the insurance company will only cover painting the scratched fender, not the whole truck. So I don't know if it's worth it. Which leads me to my question.

Where is a good body shop that can repair the scratches and dings, and give it a nice white paint job without overcharging the hell out of me? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[JOHN]
Old 10-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

mAydAy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paint job

If its white it shouldn't be too hard to get it touched up and covered up wtih some color matched paint and wetsanding...
Old 10-14-2004, 06:49 PM
Piece of white trash

TrailorParkPimp has disabled reputation

well the dings you can pull out with a dent puller (basically a suction cup with a handle) or you can use a plunger. if the scratches arent too deep, you should be able to buff or wax the scratch out. these suggestions wont cost much
Old 10-14-2004, 06:53 PM
1997 Dakota 3.9L V6

Thanks guys. This may be a stupid question, but will the dent puller work with small dents? I always thought it would only work with large ones.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

little ones need to be hammered/knocked out or pulled out, usually the suction cup ones won't do it...
Old 10-14-2004, 07:17 PM
1997 Dakota 3.9L V6

Damn. Doesn't look like crap when you have to hammer it out? I remember seeing this old truck with my friend once. He tried to hammer out a dent and ended up having reverse dents all over his truck. Would it be something really hard to do? Like could I do it or should I have it done once I want to get it painted and all?
Old 10-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by squier8484
Damn. Doesn't look like crap when you have to hammer it out? I remember seeing this old truck with my friend once. He tried to hammer out a dent and ended up having reverse dents all over his truck. Would it be something really hard to do? Like could I do it or should I have it done once I want to get it painted and all?
It isnt something you can just pick up and go out and do and expect it to be perfect. Bodywork is an art, and beating out sheetmetal can be done but it takes some time, practice and care. Most likely if you've never done any, it should be done by someone else. a talented bodyworker can do it and probably not damage the paint any more and leave it looking good. I've done it before and gotten in plenty of practice, but I can remember the first times I tried it it turned out ugly.
Just a note: Hammering out a dent like your friend did is all wrong. He just took a hammer, and hit it out from the back. You have to hit it and tap lightly with another hammer or a dolly on the other side of it to back it to prevent getting those reverse hammer marks, and you also need to shape it using shaping hammers also. Its not all that simple unfortunately as grabbign a framing hammer and hitting it...

-Andy
Old 10-14-2004, 07:46 PM
1997 Dakota 3.9L V6

Originally Posted by mAydAy
It isnt something you can just pick up and go out and do and expect it to be perfect. Bodywork is an art, and beating out sheetmetal can be done but it takes some time, practice and care. Most likely if you've never done any, it should be done by someone else. a talented bodyworker can do it and probably not damage the paint any more and leave it looking good. I've done it before and gotten in plenty of practice, but I can remember the first times I tried it it turned out ugly.
Just a note: Hammering out a dent like your friend did is all wrong. He just took a hammer, and hit it out from the back. You have to hit it and tap lightly with another hammer or a dolly on the other side of it to back it to prevent getting those reverse hammer marks, and you also need to shape it using shaping hammers also. Its not all that simple unfortunately as grabbign a framing hammer and hitting it...

-Andy
Thanks man. Well, I guess I'll start looking for somewhere I can get that done. Any suggestions?