Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

New. help :D

Old 11-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: New. help :D

Originally Posted by Djtuner
thx. and im 19 so i mean im pretty young i guess? Well i see alot of suggestion for Honda's. which it's starting to convince me. Even though I've always thought they were wack. But if it's good to learn on, then maybe?
I suggested a manual tranny Mustang for the same reasons as a Civic. You won't get very far with an auto tranny model unless you've got some hangup about only going in straight lines. Which is actually the major reason Mustangs (and most RWD domestic cars) come with live axle setups in the back. Americans have a weird straight line hangup for some reason I've never understood, but I digress.
Anyway, Mustangs can be a great cheap car for learning on. I'm not a big Mustang fan for reasons I won't get into, but I appreciate their potential for performance.

Whatever you do though, make sure you get second opinions or research whatever you hear. There is a LOT of misinformation that gets passed around as absolute truth, or half-truth. So get your info from good, reputable sources while you're learning about stuff. This is a big problem with many young Honda guys and many old Mustang/domestic guys. Fuel injection systems are still part black magic and part voodoo to many people, so that's where a lot of stuff comes from, and a lot of the other stuff (especially Mustang stuff) seems to come from old engine technology or carburetor knowledge that has been wrongly applied to modern, fuel injected engines. So just beware who and what you listen to for information.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-08-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:29 AM
typesb4thinking

nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3

My first vehicle was a 1987 F150 4.9L...it broke down alot (but with *>400k what do you expect?) but the parts were cheap, and the vehicle was really easy to work on. It isn't fast, but I was paying something like $78 a month when I was 17. Who needs to go fast when you can roast through all 3 gears anyway? You can also learn alot by just watching people work on their own vehicles (cheerlead) or even buy a haynes manual and read that.

Or just bug Fabrik8....*****'s smart.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:26 AM
Fuck Bitches, Get $$

rydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nosediv3

Or just bug Fabrik8....*****'s smart.
QFT. Everytime he posts, I grab coffee and a donut and sit down for a quality read. I feel like the lonely guy in Barnes and Noble who grabs some shit of magazines, but never buys any.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Registered member

Quanchie has disabled reputation

You will pick up so much knowledge by just reading stuff from other people and working on your own car if you have one.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:34 PM
FACK YER ESS PEE OHH

all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's

Originally Posted by 99CIVICFTW
I think a 240 would be a good car.
horrible advice...i dont want a slide happy unexpierienced teenage driver with a tent in his pants hitting me during daily commutes.....nothing against you, just saying
Old 11-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi

Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be

Originally Posted by B-Well
The op sounds super young. Not sure where to buy used cars. Not sure what's out there. I mean when I was real young I knew tons of manufacturers and their vehicle platforms.

Look around at pic threads and see what car models look like modified (if you plan to modify at all)
Once you've chosen your platform, go to a vehicle specific board and browse around on your free time. you will gain vast amounts of knowledge and be able to quickly diagnose the common simple problems associated with buying these cars used. Also, you will learn the value of these vehicles according to their condition and the parts they are equiped with. Nothing will benifit you more than knowledge, get as much of it as you can prior to getting your hands dirty to prevent damaging anything. Then get wrenching. Hands on is the best way to learn, by trial and error or helping someone experienced out and taking notes.
+1
thats how i learned and id say i learned pretty quick

id also say get a honda/acura
easiest starter cars!!!!!

Last edited by Integra2Be; 11-10-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Tarmac Attack is an unknown quantity at this point

The best thing you can do is read, read, read for now. Until you get a good starting platform to get some hands-on wrench time anyways. Find when and where car meets are happening and just show up and look around. There is so much knowledge to be learned, it can be overwhelming.
Choose who you learn from wisely. There is a LOT of misinformation that floats around when people start talking nonsense because they think they know what they're talking about.
When you get a car that you want to start tooling with, take the time to learn about some of the basic mechanics of the car by doing simple maintenance procedures. Don't let little issues, and especially other people, discourage you from learning. Everyone likes to play e-thug on the internet and take advantage of people who aren't knowledgeable in this whole motorsport scene.
Good luck in your learning experience.