Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

New. help :D

Old 11-08-2008, 09:37 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts
Default Re: New. help :D

how old are you?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Originally Posted by Djtuner
so yea im new to cars. loveing them but new. anybody got any general info that can help me learn? I've learned about AFR (air fuel ratio) so far and that heat is real bad for you engine and hmm not to much more. but i really want to learn! lmk. pm w/e works for you.
nebody in hampton>
http://www.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
Old 11-08-2008, 09:43 AM
got vtec?

SOHC_CriX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

dude, get a CRX
Old 11-08-2008, 11:40 AM
RagPhoto.net

99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough

good idea. where would i buy a 240sx? like a nissan dealer? seems like they wouldnt be on my side. haha
i wouldn't go to a dealer. look on here in the classifieds. also look on craigslist.com you can definitely find some good deals on there.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you like Mustangs, think about a Mustang with a manual transmission. Mustangs are like Civics; they're cheap to buy, cheap to modify, but once you've worked on Mustangs a lot you will really appreciate the engineering cleverness that goes into the Japanese and German brands. Every time I pick up a Mustang mag at the newsstand I can't believe how cheap the parts are.

Don't even worry about getting something fast; you'll get in more trouble than it's worth (you sound like you're young and therefore probably don't have a lot of driving experience yet), and you can't use a lot of power on the street anyway. Learning sounds important to you, so getting something that you can work on and upgrade slowly will probably be more satisfying than buying an expensive car that you can't afford to modify (or are scared to break).

Go for something that handles decent to start with, as suspension mods usually require quite a bit of knowledge, and it's very hard to make a car with a fundamentally flawed suspension design ever handle properly (without fabricating and replacing a lot of stuff).

Oh, and probably stay away from something with an engine swap for the moment. Having to unravel and troubleshoot problems that often come with engine swaps is going to be very frustrating if you don't have the background knowledge to understand how everything interacts. After all, you want to learn about cars, not learn that you never want to touch them again after spending all your time fixing someone else's mistakes. The enjoyment comes from fixing/modifying things because you want to, not because you have to.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-08-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Grippin the Grain

importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic importfanatic

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
After all, you want to learn about cars, not learn that you never want to touch them again after spending all your time fixing someone else's mistakes.
Amen brother.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:08 PM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

The op sounds super young. Not sure where to buy used cars. Not sure what's out there. I mean when I was real young I knew tons of manufacturers and their vehicle platforms.

Look around at pic threads and see what car models look like modified (if you plan to modify at all)
Once you've chosen your platform, go to a vehicle specific board and browse around on your free time. you will gain vast amounts of knowledge and be able to quickly diagnose the common simple problems associated with buying these cars used. Also, you will learn the value of these vehicles according to their condition and the parts they are equiped with. Nothing will benifit you more than knowledge, get as much of it as you can prior to getting your hands dirty to prevent damaging anything. Then get wrenching. Hands on is the best way to learn, by trial and error or helping someone experienced out and taking notes.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Djtuner has disabled reputation

thx. and im 19 so i mean im pretty young i guess? Well i see alot of suggestion for Honda's. which it's starting to convince me. Even though I've always thought they were wack. But if it's good to learn on, then maybe?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

spitzbergen has disabled reputation

VAdriven tends to lean towards the Japanese brands. I wouldn't buy a Honda but that's not saying you shouldn't. There is a huge following in the 757 for Hondas, parts are cheap and most of them are easy to work on. So if you must sell your Mustang why not.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:31 PM
RagPhoto.net

99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough

thx. and im 19 so i mean im pretty young i guess? Well i see alot of suggestion for Honda's. which it's starting to convince me. Even though I've always thought they were wack. But if it's good to learn on, then maybe?
There are a lot of Honda people on here. Hondas, in my opinion, are one of the best cars to start off with because they are cheap to buy, cheap to get parts for, and relatively easy to fix. They are a good vehicle to learn with because, again in my opinion, they are fairly simple cars. Also, just because you start with a Honda doesn't mean your stuck with it for life (however you want a car you like to drive). many people began with a car like a Civic and then moved to more "advanced" cars such as an Evo. Remember though, don't get a car your not going to like driving because that could cause you to lose interest.