Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

need advice on subwoofers...

Old 11-11-2010, 03:54 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN
Default Re: need advice on subwoofers...

Originally Posted by grgazn
Using an Alpine CDA-3998
RCA output volts = idk off the top of my head
Gains/settings = none at the time. maybe +2 bass, +3/+4 sub, 0,-1,-2 treble. I didn't use any type of equalizer, and the amp was left at a mid setting. I made a bridged connection, and set it accordingly
Box: Made my own, caulked shut, it's a sealed box. Painted it with Kilz primer five times to prevent mold/mildew/sogginess since Del Sols tend to leak in strange places. Applied generic cheapo carpet (exterior), bolted it down to plywood 'floor' in trunk, which is bolted through the trunk and into the body of the car using 5/8" bolts and washers along with loc-tite.

as far as the bass goes, I'd like to have accurate, consistent, and the ability for loud.

I did mention it, but it was a Memphis Mojo. Capable of handling 1000w peak... It was $450 brand new, no box. I didn't get ripped off, their stuff just isn't for the faint of heart. I think the cheap one is something like the MCD-3280432 something or other. I don't remember. I read up on it, but I opted for something 4 times as expensive for reliability, which seems to have failed me.
The sub didn't fail you, what failed you is the install. What usually causes a sub to fail is overheating...the voice coils simply get too hot and melt. There are a lot of possibilities that can cause it, but almost all are install related.

You mention that the amp was at a mid-setting...are you talking about the gains on the amp? I don't recognize the model HU that you have, but most newer Alpines have 4v pre-outs. With that voltage, the gains on your amp should be very low. I suggest that you get some help with setting your gains so that you don't have to keep buying subs.