Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

In the market for tires..opinons please

Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 PM
$Level$

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich
Default Re: In the market for tires..opinons please

Michelin Super Sports......trust me, the best tire I've ever used.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

If available and you are just looking for performance then I would highly recommend the Potenza RE-11's. Dont let the treadwear scare you, they are super meaty. Keep them rotated every so often and they will last you. An absolute amazing tire in construction and design. There are some downsides, they are louder than most mud tires on trucks and your gas milage will suffer as they are heavy and have a ton of rolling friction due to grip. Doubt you care about the mpg's though. Keeping them rotated helps out with the noise for a short while but it does come back quickly. I absolutely love mine. If you decide to try them out, keep in mind they are Maximum Summer performance. I use them year round but I'm FWD. You def need to be careful when the road is cold more so than other "summer" tires.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

Originally Posted by Rich
I've heard nothing but great things about these tires, but they still aren't going to give you the grip of an extreme summer performance tire, although they will last a good deal longer.

The Continental Extreme DW's are ok...they are very lightweight, and great in wet conditions but this comes at the expense of dry lateral grip. Doesn't sound like you're going to be doing much driving in the rain so I would pass.

I'm partial to Dunlop Direzza Z1 star specs...they really do it all. Excellent grip, longevity, and won't kill you in the rain or your wallet. Not sure if they're available in your size. I'm curious as to how you are considering both Toyo R888's and Goodyear GS-D3's lol, 2 totally different categories of tires. I would think the GS-D3 would be outdated by now, I think I last looked at those like 6 years ago.

Also for what it's worth, I talked to a rep from Tire Rack about a month ago and apparently a lot of new and very good performance tires are hitting the market in spring 2013 including the successor to the star specs, so keep that in mind. 2012 was kind of a dead year.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Now drives a SWagon

Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi

Originally Posted by Broke Neck:7956435
Hankook RS3's
This
Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 AM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by Broke Neck
Hankook RS3's
I looked at those, but limited sizes turned me away. The closest I can get to the rear 295/305, is 285 and the front 265/275 is 255..I'm not looking to go narrower.

Sizes again. The list above I came to base on availability/ production of the sizes.

Originally Posted by The real Ryan
If available and you are just looking for performance then I would highly recommend the Potenza RE-11's. Dont let the treadwear scare you, they are super meaty. Keep them rotated every so often and they will last you. An absolute amazing tire in construction and design. There are some downsides, they are louder than most mud tires on trucks and your gas milage will suffer as they are heavy and have a ton of rolling friction due to grip. Doubt you care about the mpg's though. Keeping them rotated helps out with the noise for a short while but it does come back quickly. I absolutely love mine. If you decide to try them out, keep in mind they are Maximum Summer performance. I use them year round but I'm FWD. You def need to be careful when the road is cold more so than other "summer" tires.
RE-11's don't come close to the sizes..about the same sizes as Brokenecks recommendation.

Originally Posted by POS DSM
I've heard nothing but great things about these tires, but they still aren't going to give you the grip of an extreme summer performance tire, although they will last a good deal longer.

The Continental Extreme DW's are ok...they are very lightweight, and great in wet conditions but this comes at the expense of dry lateral grip. Doesn't sound like you're going to be doing much driving in the rain so I would pass.

I'm partial to Dunlop Direzza Z1 star specs ...they really do it all. Excellent grip, longevity, and won't kill you in the rain or your wallet. Not sure if they're available in your size. I'm curious as to how you are considering both Toyo R888's and Goodyear GS-D3's lol, 2 totally different categories of tires. I would think the GS-D3 would be outdated by now, I think I last looked at those like 6 years ago.

Also for what it's worth, I talked to a rep from Tire Rack about a month ago and apparently a lot of new and very good performance tires are hitting the market in spring 2013 including the successor to the star specs, so keep that in mind. 2012 was kind of a dead year.
R888's, I want some one to convince me the 100 treadwear rating won't be as bad as I imagine. I've had GSD3's on it before and liked them a lot, but Goodyear has changed the sizes produced. It would be a done deal if I could get GSD3's. As for waiting til spring, what I have won't last that long unless I park it. The Z1 star specs don't come in the sizes I'm looking for, the NT05 from Nitto have a very similar tread design and 200 wear.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:51 AM
Black girls love me!

91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg

I would say go with the NT-05s, I have a friend in Jacksonville NC that runs them on his EVO X. He loves them he ran a Yokohama(not sure which one) he tried to get me to run it before the motor in my DA blew. Having drove his EVO, I can say first hand it has grip for days.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Tell some more about those, I'm thinking about getting them for the WRX. Have you been using those on the CTS-V?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Registered member

jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02

Originally Posted by POS DSM
That's interesting to hear. I've had my eye on a set of Star Specs for my Z once it's on the road. I guess I'll have to wait and see what shows up. That or see if I can get a deal on a set of Star Specs once the replacement hits the market.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Hello

Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality

That is cool to hear. I've really enjoyed the Star Specs as replacement for my RE-01Rs and they have lasted ~20k of very spirited DD. Sad they don't come in the right sizes, OP - some of the best sticky value-summers I've ever run.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

Yep, they're already available overseas. also my car comes up when you google image search them. Weird

As far as the OP, if you could clarify how you intend to use the tires (street only, auto-x only, both, etc) it would make it easier to offer suggestions.

Quick Reply: In the market for tires..opinons please