Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Lowering an Eclipse

Old 11-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Suck it Ho!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OrreeO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lowering an Eclipse

im lowering my car this spring, but im ordering my springs and all my other parts this winter so ill have everything when the weather breaks. but as for lowering my car. i was goign to buy the Tein lowering springs, but they only drop it like an inch and a half. i was wondering what the DSM guys on here think. would droppin it 2 inches look better and provide better performance, or would 1 and half inches be enough??
Old 11-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

hornetsnest is an unknown quantity at this point

Inch and a half is fine. Any lower and you get camber problems. The extra half inch isn't worth the camber and scraping problems. Depends on your rims/tires too.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:46 PM
It's Duck Season

JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub JBub

Originally posted by hornetsnest
Inch and a half is fine. Any lower and you get camber problems. The extra half inch isn't worth the camber and scraping problems. Depends on your rims/tires too.
drive carefully and buy a camber kit.

IMO your car will look better lowered 2.0-2.2 inches.

anything lower than that and you might have some problems.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:48 PM
Suck it Ho!!

well ill be running 17 inch wheels with 225/40 series tires. plus im puttin a nice carbon fiber lip on the front, so do u think 2 inches would be too much, cuase i dont wanna fuck that lip up.

and do u not need a camber kit if your only going and inch and a half?
Old 11-11-2003, 06:51 PM
fabricated reality

kawgomoo can only hope to improve

lowering ur car excessively may look better, but will not yield better perf.... on the street at least. the key to a good street setup is suspension travel. streets are not flat, often have all sorts of obstacles, potholes dips cracks whatever. your suspension has to be able to compensate for this. if you are on a racetrack that is well groomed and completely flat u can hammer the piss out of the car and itll handle great because the suspension really has less work to do to keep the tires on the ground.

take a really low car, hit a dip at speed and ull most def lose traction. now hows a car gonna go fast without traction?
Old 11-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Banned

boostcreep is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 98 GST with Skunk2 coilovers and GroundControls too. The Skunks rode rougher. I still have the GroundControls if you're interested. Whatever you do, don't forget struts if you go more than 2 inches. They'll go bad quick.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:48 AM
Reppin'

Attrayant is an unknown quantity at this point

my eclipse is lowerd 2" all around on Eibach Sportlines w/ tokicko blue struts. Rides fairly nice but if you go that low a camber kit is a must. Rims are 17" with 225/45 tires, I have alittle less then 2 finger gap between tire and fender all around. I wouldn't go any lower then 2" though unless your going show.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Suck it Ho!!

so an inch and a half will still give me the performance handling i want without having the buy struts and a camber kit, right? im not really goign for show for anything, i just want what is best to get rid of the body lean and give me the best handling through tight turns without sacraficing the ride comfort. so i shoudl just go and inch and half right?
Old 11-12-2003, 08:29 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

you might want 45 series tires rather than the 40.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:41 AM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

1 1/2".

Unless you like destroying your oil pan.

Quick Reply: Lowering an Eclipse