Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Local Fairlady Z (and Fair Ladies) Discussion Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02
Default Re: Local Fairlady Z (and Fair Ladies) Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Yardjass
That's pretty awesome. I'd love a 280 but I have too many funds tied up in the current one. BlackTrax has been developing an LSX swap kit for the Z32, due to be complete in the spring. That's probably where I'm going next

Welcome everybody
That should be pretty sweet. I'll have to look into that. Bet it will fit a heck of a lot better than the vg30de does.

Last edited by jaqattack02; 11-18-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

The swaps are pretty interesting and that little engine sinks pretty deep into the engine bay. Also, the aluminum blocks weigh about 450 lbs dressed versus about 600 for the VG. I want my car under 3000 lbs and balanced front and rear as much as possible. The LSX guys are having a lot of success achieving this.

That being said, the wiring harness is shit but other than that, I'll have a VG30DE with 76,000 original miles and a stage 3 clutch for sale once the LS goes in

Last edited by Yardjass; 11-18-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Registered member

jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02

The swaps are pretty interesting and that little engine sinks pretty deep into the engine bay. Also, the aluminum blocks weigh about 450 lbs dressed versus about 600 for the VG. I want my car under 3000 lbs and balanced front and rear as much as possible. The LSX guys are having a lot of success achieving this.

That being said, the wiring harness is shit but other than that, I'll have a VG30DE with 76,000 original miles and a stage 3 clutch for sale once the LS goes in
Yeah, I've thought about an LS swap for my car. Most likely a 5.3L. I just haven't been able to get myself to where I'm willing to drop the coin on a transmission. An engine I can find, but the trans options are either a TKO500\600 or a T56 and either way it's $1k+. Plus I'd have to get a driveshaft fabbed. Getting it installed isn't bad. Some others have done it and the non-turbo cross member is close enough that engine mounts are easy and the shifter pretty well hits the stock hole. Just gotta get it wired. I know of at least 1 guy that has a driving 5.3 z31. Seen a start up of one with a VH45 too, although haven't seen that one drive.

Heck, the DE fits better in the z31 engine bay than the z32. I don't think I'd do it without a set of 300ZR heads and intake manifold though, just wouldn't look right otherwise. Besides, I can make plenty of power on the VG30E I have, just need to get $$ together to get a turbo upgraded and some dyno time. Although I wouldn't mind tracking down a low miles vg33 first.

You going to sell your 30A too? Might be able to get you a buyer for that.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Registered member

For those unfamiliar, there's some info on the 300ZR toward the bottom of this page. http://xenonz31.com/modeldifferences.html
Old 11-18-2013, 07:20 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

That transmission is more than capable of handling what I want (about 400 to 450 @ the crank). Mine does have that occasional grind into 4th and it grinds 2nd on cold start until it warms up. I need to replace the fluid and see if that helps but I will probably be getting a new one wit the swap and selling the old one cheap. As far as swap options, are the engine bags in the Z31's pretty tight? That is definitely a problem with my car.

Also, I misquoted blacktrax. Meant to say lojinnovations, and they make an adapter plate and flywheel that mate an LS engine to a 30A. Something for you to consider if you want a cheaper tranny option with a SBC

Last edited by Yardjass; 11-18-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:38 AM
Registered member

That transmission is more than capable of handling what I want (about 400 to 450 @ the crank). Mine does have that occasional grind into 4th and it grinds 2nd on cold start until it warms up. I need to replace the fluid and see if that helps but I will probably be getting a new one wit the swap and selling the old one cheap. As far as swap options, are the engine bags in the Z31's pretty tight? That is definitely a problem with my car.

Also, I misquoted blacktrax. Meant to say lojinnovations, and they make an adapter plate and flywheel that mate an LS engine to a 30A. Something for you to consider if you want a cheaper tranny option with a SBC
No, the Z31 has a pretty big engine bay. Bigger than the Z32 from what I've seen. Fitting the engine in is not usually a problem, the problem is the majority of the community are cheap asses so no one really spends money to do anything cool. Heck, most of them that mod the stock engine are too cheap to do it right. One fortunate thing is that the VG30E is like the SBC, and Nissan put it in everything, so finding replacement engines is cake.

Let me know if you decide to sell it, me or my brother may be interested. The Z32 trans will bolt on with a different starter, that or swapping the bell housing with one from a Z31 30A will let you use the stock starter.

That's a nice looking part, but they're asking $1k for it. At that point I'd just buy a transmission. A used T56 is right around that price.

Here's the VG30DE in the 300ZR. You can see how much more space there is on each side compared to your car with the same engine.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:23 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

^^^

I'd rather get the adapter because the T56 will require modification of the firewall/tunnel. If it wouldn't be such a difficulty, I'd probably rather have a T56 but they claim this kit will be straight bolt up, and have addressed most of the clearance issues on their build threads already. #1 being the oil pan and #2 being the transmission fitment.

Anybody else out there with Z's? Bump with bitches

Old 12-09-2013, 06:00 AM
Registered member

So I may have come across a 5.3L LSX based engine (LM7 I believe) for a steal of a deal. Which means doing an LS swap on my Z31 may happen sooner than later. Depends on how money goes and if I can find a transmission for a price I can deal with.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:30 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Very nicee!
I'm working 7/12's in Charleston right now so that will be funding mine. Thinking of trying to go dry sump LS3 but I might go cheaper and stay LS1 at first.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Friendly Jackboot

sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80

for you 350z guys...
https://www.vadriven.com/forums/engi...meness-479611/

Quick Reply: Local Fairlady Z (and Fair Ladies) Discussion Thread