Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Financing SUCKS anyone know somthing I dont?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:24 AM
master debater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default Re: Financing SUCKS anyone know somthing I dont?

a 4 door civic doesnt cost 37k...
Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Registered member

BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT

Originally Posted by blackout
a 4 door civic doesnt cost 37k...
Well duh. What happened was that when he walked into the dealership to purchase a $19k civic SI they took one look at him, glanced at his credit, saw his income and begged for him to buy a $37k s2000 CR instead (since he was obviously overqualified for the civic). So at that point he knew he had the buying power to do what he wanted, but decided to be responsible and buy the civic instead.

Last edited by BlackOnBlackGT; 03-03-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:00 AM

actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball

Its very simple-you do not need to finance a car. The only things that require financing are educations, a home or a business. Go buy a beater, save your money and eventually buy something still under warranty that is 1-3 years old. You will appreciate it more when you have it, and you can let someone else absorb the initial giant chunk of depreciation.

I know you won't listen to this...but my fingers needed the exercise.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Banned

R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King

Originally Posted by idriveahonda
When I was out looking for a new car (June 2009, two months after college graduation), I was approved for like $37,000 on a new car, and $22,000 on a used car. New car number was through Honda dealerships, used car was through Navy Federal.

That was being 22 years old, with a single credit card of my own with a $5k limit. Credit card for just over two years, with ZERO money ever put on it. My credit card interest rate (Navy Federal) is 9%.

That was claiming making $17k a year...and they still approved me for that.

My interest rate on my new car is 5.35%, over four years. I did only finance $10.5k though, making a HUGE downpayment.
uh.. maybe off topic but you graduated out of college making 17k?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Turtle Salad

EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi

Originally Posted by actionpaintball
Its very simple-you do not need to finance a car. The only things that require financing are educations, a home or a business. Go buy a beater, save your money and eventually buy something still under warranty that is 1-3 years old. You will appreciate it more when you have it, and you can let someone else absorb the initial giant chunk of depreciation.

I know you won't listen to this...but my fingers needed the exercise.
x1000!

I learned the hard way! I bought the 335 without having a place to keep it over the winter! But i just had to have it. What sucks is I am very responsible with my money but I wanted to treat myself for making my business succesfull. Well winter came around and I had to sell it. So i had the car for only 6 months and lost 8 grand after payments and down payment and I even bought the 2 year old car so I wouldnt have to take the depreciation hit.

Save your money...buy a beater...buy a house WITH GARAGE...be financially stable..THEN buy a car.

Its hard to do this ill admit even is slipped up.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Banned

R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King R.King

Originally Posted by EGon10psi
x1000!

I learned the hard way! I bought the 335 without having a place to keep it over the winter! But i just had to have it. What sucks is I am very responsible with my money but I wanted to treat myself for making my business succesfull. Well winter came around and I had to sell it. So i had the car for only 6 months and lost 8 grand after payments and down payment and I even bought the 2 year old car so I wouldnt have to take the depreciation hit.

Save your money...buy a beater...buy a house WITH GARAGE...be financially stable..THEN buy a car.

Its hard to do this ill admit even is slipped up.
...instead of losing 8 grand you could've bought a car cover and a beater for 1000 for the winter.

just a thought.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Registered member

BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT BlackOnBlackGT

Originally Posted by jOOOOwan
uh.. maybe off topic but you graduated out of college making 17k?
You didn't know you needed a bachelors to make $8/hr?

Originally Posted by jOOOOwan
...instead of losing 8 grand you could've bought a car cover and a beater for 1000 for the winter.

just a thought.
Or just driven it in the winter.... we live in VA, the winter isn't that harsh, not to mention it's a 335i not a Ferrari.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Turtle Salad

EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi

Ok well it wasn't just the weather but not trusting it outside period. I worry about my shit constantly because I dont trust anyone. Yeah it may have been only a 40k car to you but to me that was a large investment that I worked my ass off for.

And I dont know what Virginia your living it but the winter this year sucked ass and was harsh!

Sorry I like to take care of my shit and much rather lose 8 grand then worry about it every night. Like I said i made the mistake but i could afford to. I wont own an new car again until I have a garage.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Registered member

Ok well it wasn't just the weather but not trusting it outside period. I worry about my shit constantly because I dont trust anyone. Yeah it may have been only a 40k car to you but to me that was a large investment that I worked my ass off for.

And I dont know what Virginia your living it but the winter this year sucked ass and was harsh!

Sorry I like to take care of my shit and much rather lose 8 grand then worry about it every night. Like I said i made the mistake but i could afford to. I wont own an new car again until I have a garage.
I wasn't trying to take a stab at you or anything man. I had a 2008 Lexus IS350 that MSRP'd at $45k and I felt the same way. I do everything I can to keep my cars nice, but one of the things that you have to learn is shit happens and all cars will show their age/wear and tear. I don't think it was worth losing $8k on, but the stress of owning a really nice car without a garage is definitely understandable as I've been in that position before. And yes, that is alot of money to spend on a car, I'm not discrediting that, but many BMW owners don't have garages and no serious issue would really come from having a car outside in the winter. Sure this winter has been worse than others, but I'm from NJ so I still consider it far from harsh.

My next house will have a garage also, but when I was shopping for homes you had to pay $250k plus for a decent house with a garage and that was more than I was willing to spend. I figure economy turns around, house appreciates, sell and there's my downpayment for a nicer place with a garage and not much more of a payemnt . Until then I shall rock my 2005 Legacy GT, at least it's meant for bad weather and if it gets some dings I don't really care.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

335i is a really nice car but it's not an investment car, it's a massed produced luxury sports sedan, but at least you knew when to cut your losses and learned from the experience.

also

not with the right tires
I grew up in NY this winter was average for me

I'm on the next house will have a garage bandwagon too!

Quick Reply: Financing SUCKS anyone know somthing I dont?