Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Dyno results at 20psi...

Old 12-30-2006, 03:28 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dyno results at 20psi...

Originally Posted by japslapr
This has only confused me even more. What your telling me is... my combustion chamber is under more pressure at 3300rpms, when I made peak TQ at roughly 14psi, than it is at 4300rpms at 22psi?
yes.

torque is a function of force. Power is a function of rpm.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:54 AM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

The AFR's look off to me as well. I would NOT be happy with a tune that left my AFR's in the low 11.'s high 10.'s. That is no where near where good power is made. I can understand not pushing it due to the lack of sufficient EM, but I wouldn't try to push 420hp out of the said EM either (especially on a motor with 150k).
I'd say he should keep them where he's at considering that stock 150k mile motor (I know you realized it, but I like your post ).
Old 12-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Built, HTA, V9

japslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Greaser
yes.

torque is a function of force. Power is a function of rpm.
I guess it is for reason and situations such as this that I will never be a tuner. I figured that with 14psi being much less pressure than 22psi.... it would be obvious where the higher pressure would be. I guess there are other factors out weighing boost pressure alone.?.

I did ask a few questions on my board and this is what I got....

I read the thread. Interesting approach. The statement you mentioned has some truth to it and it also has some things that I do not agree with. The truth is that around VE you will have a tendency to detonate more but the situation is not as simple as it may appear. I think a lot of people try to run lots of timing around VE because they shoot for peak torque and they compensate with fueling by running it a little bit more rich because they will knock if they don't and they don't want to pull the timing to keep things in check. Running overly rich in that range will also keep you too cool as well and that will cost you power as well. I don't want to be too cool or too hot. I believe it's a fine balance. I run low to mid 11s around VE with moderate timing which tends to yield best results. I taper the fueling down to 11 as I approach redline and I climb my timing up to keep the torque curve from falling off. I am curious what EGTs the guy was seeing around that area.

Statement that EGTs drop because cylinder pressure decreases with climbing RPMs is not entirely correct. I think leaning things out towards redline may get you into trouble. It will certainly cost you timing and therefore power. It will probably produce abnormally high EGTs as well. I think you'll also have a higher tendency to pre-detonate which is much more devastating then knock. Single pre-detonation incident can melt your piston.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Built, HTA, V9

japslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these partsjapslapr is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Corey
I'd say he should keep them where he's at considering that stock 150k mile motor (I know you realized it, but I like your post ).
Absolutely.... I think we're just talking about tuning at this point.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it is for reason and situations such as this that I will never be a tuner. I figured that with 14psi being much less pressure than 22psi.... it would be obvious where the higher pressure would be. I guess there are other factors out weighing boost pressure alone.?.

I did ask a few questions on my board and this is what I got....

max ve/torque peak is where you run the lowest timing then increase from there in relation to RPM. I dont do it alot because some motors dont respond to it.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

nissanfanatic has disabled reputation

Already checked for leaks. Yea I never use smoothing anymore because I didn't on my first graphs.. I try to keep everything consistant for people to do comparisons..

About leaning out, yea I agree. Leaning out too much can raise EGTS to unsafe levels, but thats why I don't ever go over 12 really.. I don't even hit 11.5s now, but back when I was running 12psi, I would lean out to the 12s on the top end..

Yea Greaser, this ECU was tuned for a pump gas, 15psi tune. That is all I thought I would ever run.. I "may" call scott and ask him to do a better tune for the time being, but I'm definately looking into AEM EMS or something near that level...

But from personal expirience, the KA does respond pretty well to ramping timing up in the top end along with pulling fuel... My car smoothed out a lot on the top end at 12psi when I pulled fuel..

I just don't wanna change anything because it runs so decent now and its been doing fine for 2 and a half years boosted.. Don't fix it if it isn't broken.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

Very well stated Cory....BTW who did you take it to have it dyno'ed. I'm planning on building my motor next month. new goal 500HP!!!muahhaaaahah
Old 12-30-2006, 02:34 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
The top end leans out because cylinder pressures are not as high therefore temps inside the combustion chamber aren't as hot. I always keep it pretty rich around peak VE because that is generally where detonation will occur. After that, torque drops and leaning out can keep the torque curve from falling off as much..
I was about to respond on page 1 before even reading page 2 assuming that nobody would have stated this.. nice to know there's at least one other person on Drag that understands this... haha

Those numbers are nice though, I've never dealt with KA stuff that much.. what is the bore? power is really good for the displacement. makes you wonder why anyone would pull that motor in favor of the SR20.

I had to double check what site I was on for a moment.. last place I would have expected a intelligent tuning discussion is on dragva general discussion... haha

Last edited by HighPSI TSi Guy; 12-30-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:41 PM
what you lookin at?

s13nnva23 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
Before I did 414whp at 24psi. This time, I did 419whp at 20psi.
so if ur a/f ratio is off then why are you gaining horse power with less boost? man that makes since. use ur brain people. btw it looked fine to me.
nice #'s keep doing whatever ur doing cuz obviously its working for ya
Old 12-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Built, HTA, V9

Originally Posted by s13nnva23
so if ur a/f ratio is off then why are you gaining horse power with less boost? man that makes since. use ur brain people. btw it looked fine to me.
nice #'s keep doing whatever ur doing cuz obviously its working for ya
Because he switched to a bigger more efficient I/C.... wasn';t that kinda the point of the thread? Use your head people.

Quick Reply: Dyno results at 20psi...