Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

bronco wont start

Old 06-11-2007, 05:57 PM
PieceOfShitRedneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco
Unhappy bronco wont start

new starter and starter relay. had the battery bench tested and its fine, alternator is less than three months old.

ill turn the key to on, and i have all the power. turn it to start, and it goes dead. put it back in on, and no power. so i disconnect the battery and reconnect it, and the same thing happens.

other than a short in the cable going from my battery to the starter, and possible from the ignition to the starter, im lost.

any ideas?
Old 06-12-2007, 04:44 AM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts
Default Re: bronco wont start

Ignition switch.

That's my final answer.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:48 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by crxtreme
new starter and starter relay. had the battery bench tested and its fine, alternator is less than three months old.

ill turn the key to on, and i have all the power. turn it to start, and it goes dead. put it back in on, and no power. so i disconnect the battery and reconnect it, and the same thing happens.

other than a short in the cable going from my battery to the starter, and possible from the ignition to the starter, im lost.

any ideas?
Mine did this too.

There is an iginition switch bolted to the steering column. It's under the dash and easy to get too. When you turn the key, it pushes a rod that makes the contact on this switch to turn the starter over. Sometimes, over time, this switch moves down some and can't make full contact. You'll have to play with it for a little while to see what is the best position, it's only two bolts holding it on.

Check your starter solenoid on the fenderwall too. Have you tried crossing these terminals to see if it will turn over that way?
Old 06-12-2007, 04:49 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

voltage drop on battery cable? cranking voltage at starter? its possible that there is a bad ignition switch, especially being an older ford, but a few quick tests with a DVOM will yield much faster results.

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
Mine did this too.

There is an iginition switch bolted to the steering column. It's under the dash and easy to get too. When you turn the key, it pushes a rod that makes the contact on this switch to turn the starter over. Sometimes, over time, this switch moves down some and can't make full contact. You'll have to play with it for a little while to see what is the best position, it's only two bolts holding it on.

Check your starter solenoid on the fenderwall too. Have you tried crossing these terminals to see if it will turn over that way?

its actually the actuator cracked when that happens, i do quite a few of them on a regular basis. the acutator is made of pot metal, and cracks on the guide shaft. there are a lot of people that are scared or dont know how to tear down the column, so they dick rig a seperate switch. makes them feel like they are driving a race car......
Old 06-12-2007, 04:54 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by fc735
its actually the actuator cracked when that happens, i do quite a few of them on a regular basis. the acutator is made of pot metal, and cracks on the guide shaft. there are a lot of people that are scared or dont know how to tear down the column, so they dick rig a seperate switch. makes them feel like they are driving a race car......
Yep, had that happen on mine too. It's like a $10 part from Ford to fix it IIRC correctly. I still had the issues with the ignition switch too though, it got to the point I just some pliers to push the rod down to start it. It was primarily for mudding so I didn't care.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:17 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
Yep, had that happen on mine too. It's like a $10 part from Ford to fix it IIRC correctly. I still had the issues with the ignition switch too though, it got to the point I just some pliers to push the rod down to start it. It was primarily for mudding so I didn't care.

dorman makes a nice replacement actuator for 6 bucks. if it still acted up, something wasnt installed correctly or the switch wasnt adjusted right.

it takes some skill to do them and have them work right. my bet is that the rack wasnt timed to the gear off the lock cylinder correctly. common mistake when putting them back together. i do it every few times, but usually catch myself before going back all the way.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 AM
He's like the wind

Originally Posted by fc735
it takes some skill to do them and have them work right. my bet is that the rack wasnt timed to the gear off the lock cylinder correctly. common mistake when putting them back together. i do it every few times, but usually catch myself before going back all the way.
Oh, I'm sure I fucked it up cause I was getting fustrated as hell. But luckily it wasn't my daily so I wasn't too worried.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

sprack is on a distinguished road

where in hampton are you???

im off tomorrow and wouldnt mind helping ya out