Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Breaking a timing belt

Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: Breaking a timing belt

well so the kia is a 5 speed???im guessing??
Old 09-18-2009, 04:53 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

I have no idea.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

I see that a lot with the KIA's(we are a Subaru/Kia dealer). They say change it at 40k, they mean it cause that shit will break. IIRC only the 98-99 Sportage are non interference motors. Not 100% sure as I am a Subaru writer.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

Yeah Rio's are interference motors.

My 01 Rio was about 8K over due for a timing belt, I still DD'ed it while never dumping the clutch. Car was so slow, 1st gear went to 25.

I sold it for 5X what I paid, and the guy's sister managed to destroy the motor in 2 days. Belt popped, bent all the valves, and the guy crushed the car.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 PM
i <3 my neon

TheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the rough

who ever took those pics probably a hit it with torch after pulling the head off.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:50 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I call BS on just a timing belt breaking. Those pistons and chambers look like they've been melted, like there was a horrible lean condition for a while under high load. Valves don't break holes in all four pistons when the belt snaps, the valvetrain stops rotating long before that kind of carnage happens. Plus, the piston holes wouldn't have melted edges on them, they'd just be a clean fracture and nothing else (the valvetrain wouldn't have any more energy left after a few good piston hits and it isn't getting driven with a broken belt).
That's a LOT more damage than the engine shutting off at 40MPH because of a broken belt. I see the bent/broken valves, but that belt must have jumped a few teeth a long time before it actually broke in order to blow holes in the piston tops..

Where did that picture come from? What's the real story behind it?

I have an 00 Rio out in the lot that was towed in as a no start, low compression. I have not pulled the head, but with a digital borescope, I was seeing the top of the rod. It will snap the head off a valve in one hit, and then it rides around and smashes the piston crown. The pistons are very thin on these pieces of shit also, and break easily.

Add in the fact that the customer usually sits there and cranks on them till the battery goes dead....and its not hard to get that much carnage in a minimal amount of time.

I took that Rio in on trade on the tow/diagnostic bill, and it is going to the local High School tomorrow morning for its final death lol students will fuck up anything.

If they get the head off it without breaking everything, I will try to get pics of it and post them up. I wish I had a memory card in that borescope (traded up to the one that will record a video or image now from Strap-On)

Originally Posted by nftuatn
well so the kia is a 5 speed???im guessing??
appears that way. The bellhousing is too small to be an auto on those cars (converter is thick as fuck on them pieces of shit)
Old 09-20-2009, 06:38 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by TheLittleRedSRT
who ever took those pics probably a hit it with torch after pulling the head off.
Holy shit we have some conspiracy theorists. . .
Old 09-20-2009, 06:41 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by TheLittleRedSRT
Yeah, cause that is totally what aluminum looks like after taking a torch to it.

Do us all a favor and think before posting, K?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:14 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by fc735
Yeah, cause that is totally what aluminum looks like after taking a torch to it.

Do us all a favor and think before posting, K?
i lol'd