Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Breaking a timing belt

Old 09-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Breaking a timing belt

I've seen some pretty bad timing belt failures, but the pistons have always made it. This one however, takes the cake.

This is what it looks like when you break a timing belt on a 2002 Kia Rio (pre Hyundai days). The car was over due for a belt, the car had 77k on it. Service was due at 60k. The car was going 40 MPH went the belt broke. It just coasted to a stop and would not restart.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:05 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch
Default Re: Breaking a timing belt

it will be ok, add some new oil, change the coolant,and call it a day..LOL...that shit sucks....
Old 09-17-2009, 06:05 AM
Classified Moderator

Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby

man I used to see this all the time at Kia (parts manager) you have to replace timing belt at 50k, 10k under the recommended interval....
Old 09-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Works on S2000's.

C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory

Holy shit!!!

I just changed a timing belt on a Sedona, the timing belt broke while driving down the road, but didn't bend any valves.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n

Damn and only 77k miles??
Old 09-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Just broke my timing belt the other day... Scared the piss out of me...
Old 09-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I call BS on just a timing belt breaking. Those pistons and chambers look like they've been melted, like there was a horrible lean condition for a while under high load. Valves don't break holes in all four pistons when the belt snaps, the valvetrain stops rotating long before that kind of carnage happens. Plus, the piston holes wouldn't have melted edges on them, they'd just be a clean fracture and nothing else (the valvetrain wouldn't have any more energy left after a few good piston hits and it isn't getting driven with a broken belt).
That's a LOT more damage than the engine shutting off at 40MPH because of a broken belt. I see the bent/broken valves, but that belt must have jumped a few teeth a long time before it actually broke in order to blow holes in the piston tops..

Where did that picture come from? What's the real story behind it?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-17-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:31 PM
:Uses Ninja-Focus:

JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I call BS on just a timing belt breaking. Those pistons and chambers look like they've been melted, like there was a horrible lean condition for a while under high load. Valves don't break holes in all four pistons when the belt snaps, the valvetrain stops rotating long before that kind of carnage happens. Plus, the piston holes wouldn't have melted edges on them, they'd just be a clean fracture and nothing else (the valvetrain wouldn't have any more energy left after a few good piston hits and it isn't getting driven with a broken belt).
That's a LOT more damage than the engine shutting off at 40MPH because of a broken belt. I see the bent/broken valves, but that belt must have jumped a few teeth a long time before it actually broke in order to blow holes in the piston tops..

Where did that picture come from? What's the real story behind it?
+1 I dropped a valve @ 7K RPMS before and there still wasn't anywhere near as much damage as that.. only 1 piston was bad and the head was still salvageable I call bullshit, everything has been beaten to shit.. looks like some shit off of Terminator.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Anyone see the junk layin in the intake manifold? It looks like a couple valves broke off as well... I'd say they kept tryin to restart it over and over... I bet it was also a chicks car b/c those bitches will drive shit even if it makes some stupid noise and not change their oil and shit...
Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Registered member

jorge1190 has disabled reputation

our kia did this a while back and dropped two valves through the cylinder....at only 75k

Quick Reply: Breaking a timing belt