Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

BAD NEWS..."Cash for Clunkers"...End of Custom Cars

Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie
Default Re: BAD NEWS..."Cash for Clunkers"...End of Custom Cars

Originally Posted by JROW
People who can afford to keep classic cars won't be turning them in. It's not like the governments gonna pay much for them anyway.

This really won't affect the classic car world or aftermarket world. Stop worrying.

O
What about the cars that don't have value yet but may one day? There was a point when some cars that have nice values today didn't have shit for value. Sure the classics you know now won't be turned in but the classics of tomorrow may.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:47 AM
Registered Member

spitzbergen has disabled reputation

Japan's Govt. has been doing this kind of things for years. Sombody buys all the old JDM cars and trucks and ships them to South America or the Middle East.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:31 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheGentleArt
Man has a point....
I agree. Even a voluntary version just opens the door. Once they have something in place it is only a matter of time before they twist and contort it how they want to make it much much worse.

Look at the laws we already get fucked by that were never intended for their current use - exhaust tickers for example
Old 01-02-2009, 11:51 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie
What about the cars that don't have value yet but may one day? There was a point when some cars that have nice values today didn't have shit for value. Sure the classics you know now won't be turned in but the classics of tomorrow may.
If they're nice enough to be worth a shit to be classics one day, then they won't get turned in. This will be voluntary, it's not like everybody that actually cares about cars is going to go turn their cars in. This country would be a lot better off if people turned their junkers in for a few bucks and buy newer cars.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. We can't change it anyway I guess.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:10 PM
face is vanilla

Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face

Originally Posted by spitzbergen
Japan's Govt. has been doing this kind of things for years. Sombody buys all the old JDM cars and trucks and ships them to South America or the Middle East.
I may be wrong, but I think its something like, the older your car is, or it may be the higher the mileage, the higher the tax is on your car, till it comes to the point that why the fuck would you drive an older car and pay more for it in taxes alone then it would cost you to have a new car.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Inglip 2012

WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner

This whole thing is a bad idea, but it doesn't really mean much.

The Gov't will be handing out hardly any money for these cars, and many people won't even take advantage of it. Furthermore, anyone who knows they have something of value obviously won't take the pittance they're offering.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

spitzbergen has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Celery
I may be wrong, but I think its something like, the older your car is, or it may be the higher the mileage, the higher the tax is on your car, till it comes to the point that why the fuck would you drive an older car and pay more for it in taxes alone then it would cost you to have a new car.

Not sure but I thought it was a mandatory program. Right now I'm more worried about this gas tax increase I keep hearing about.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

If they're nice enough to be worth a shit to be classics one day, then they won't get turned in. This will be voluntary, it's not like everybody that actually cares about cars is going to go turn their cars in. This country would be a lot better off if people turned their junkers in for a few bucks and buy newer cars.

I have seen cars that were selling for $500 10 years ago that would go for quite a few grand in the same shape today.

I am not saying that it is a bad idea, my point is that some cars that may one day be desirable could be crushed.

Hell in the 80s you could get a first gen f-body for a couple of hundred and now a rust bucket is 5k.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:12 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

You're not looking at the big picture though. It is voluntary, FOR NOW. Once hte system is in place it will be slowly tweaked under our noses for years to come and abused into something we don't want. Letting them set up something like this is opening a door that shouldn't be be opened. It's too easy for small changes in already existing systems to get sneaked into place without the public having a say or even knowing, expecially if done a little at a time.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:45 PM

Will's Fiero is on a distinguished road

Absolutely.

It will also NOT accomplish its stated purpos, and therefore should NOT be made law.

-People who drive old cars out of necessity will not be helped, as they can't afford new cars anyway.
-People who drive old cars out of choice will not be helped as they do not want new cars.
-People who have rust buckets in their yards probably don't care
-People who have old cars and are looking for new ones (the target group of this bill) can probably sell their old cars to someone who drives old cars out of necessity or desire for more than the gov't will offer them to scrap the car.

This is not in the interests of any common group of people and therefore should not be law.
It is NOT something that congress should be doing anyway.