Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

BAD NEWS..."Cash for Clunkers"...End of Custom Cars

Old 12-31-2008, 11:53 AM
DWP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nurplemustang has disabled reputation
Exclamation BAD NEWS..."Cash for Clunkers"...End of Custom Cars

I don't know if anyone here has heard about this new program that our government is trying to create but it sounds terrible. I got an email from summit racing asking people to write into a house speaker to try and turn this whole program down. The Program is called "cash for clunkers" which means they will take our tax money and pay people to turn there "junk" cars in and have them smashed. From what I have read it is to help "stimulate" the new car scene and in turn it will make parts for older cars more expensive and make it almost impossible for people to use original parts on their cars and basically destroy the restoration/customization industry. I don't want my hobby to become more expensive then it already is. It is a huge part of our culture and they are trying to take it away from us.

So heres summits link with their information. They probably have it written a lot better then I have but I urge people to help summit and the rest of the car customization world out.

http://www.summitracing.com/streetandstrip/news.asp

PLEASE CHECK IT OUT.

A world with out custom cars is a world without creativity. A world without creativity is a world much like that book 1984.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:55 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22
Default Re: BAD NEWS..."Cash for Clunkers"...End of Custom Cars

So uh...how is this going to destroy the customization industry exactly? People are going to be giving up their old peice of shit cars that sucked anyway, and that has zero to do with aftermarket companies or components.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

R
Old 12-31-2008, 12:00 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

E

But for the record, I'm against it... I'd lobby against it. If it's totally voluntary, then it's not such a bad thing, but if this means they're going to put pressure on making people get rid of older eye sores, I don't like it. Maybe Cleetus could remove the 15 cars from his front yard with trees sprouting up through the floors and get him a new ecomony car. That's cool for him. I see both sides though.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:01 PM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

Of course its voluntary. Thats why I dont see what the big deal is. And I still dont see how this could have any impact on the aftermarket.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:05 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by Mufasa
Of course its voluntary. Thats why I dont see what the big deal is. And I still dont see how this could have any impact on the aftermarket.
Well, yeah, I don't know what the problem is then.

As for having an impact on the aftermarket, it really shouldn't. It would potentially have an effect on restoration as far as OE parts being hard to come by and if you can't find them in a junkyard to recondition because they've been turned into a 3x3 paperweight cube of metal--it would bring the cost up because of supply and demand. I think it's totally up to the "consumer" as for how well something like this would work. Logically, someone that owns something with any real value to the general enthusiast would probably know not to scrap an old beat up GT500 or RoadRunner even if it weren't in good shape.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:14 PM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

I think it's great and could work. It's not like you have to turn in your classics or anything, if anything it will make cars more rare.

I say

oh...... P
Old 12-31-2008, 12:32 PM
DWP

I guess it may not impact the price of after market parts but it could I don't know. But I do know it will really hurt the classic car world. Even like early civics and stuff. People are going to turn them in to get a small check that won't even buy them a new car and that civic or classic will be crushed. So next time you break like an armrest in your 92 civic no more going to a junk yard to get that part. You will have to buy it new and god knows if they will even make it or how expensive it will be. Or what if u wanted to find a rust bucket to restore it. You wont be able to find them cause they will be more "rare". Ya people wont turn in classics already done but Im sure people will turn in classics that don't run because they would probably get more money for it.

I too see both sides of it because it could really help people out if they have a old tarus or something I'd rather get 3000 for that then have it sit in my backyard.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:45 PM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

Originally Posted by nurplemustang
I guess it may not impact the price of after market parts but it could I don't know. But I do know it will really hurt the classic car world. Even like early civics and stuff. People are going to turn them in to get a small check that won't even buy them a new car and that civic or classic will be crushed. So next time you break like an armrest in your 92 civic no more going to a junk yard to get that part. You will have to buy it new and god knows if they will even make it or how expensive it will be. Or what if u wanted to find a rust bucket to restore it. You wont be able to find them cause they will be more "rare". Ya people wont turn in classics already done but Im sure people will turn in classics that don't run because they would probably get more money for it.

I too see both sides of it because it could really help people out if they have a old tarus or something I'd rather get 3000 for that then have it sit in my backyard.
People who can afford to keep classic cars won't be turning them in. It's not like the governments gonna pay much for them anyway.

This really won't affect the classic car world or aftermarket world. Stop worrying.

O
Old 12-31-2008, 01:18 PM
DWP

I'm not going to loose sleep over it by any means.

Just thought I'd share because it interested me. If SEMA and others are worrying about it I thought car enthusiast would have interest in this matter too. I guess well see in the end what happens. It will suck a lot if the price of this hobby goes up even more and if chunks of our history are destroyed. If a certain car becomes "rare", companies aren't going to make after market parts for them. If they do, the parts will be not as available and parts will be more expensive. It happens all the time but think what you will just though I'd share.

Have a good New Years everyone and be careful on the roads.

Quick Reply: BAD NEWS..."Cash for Clunkers"...End of Custom Cars