Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

BAD NEWS..."Cash for Clunkers"...End of Custom Cars

Old 12-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S T F U has disabled reputation
Default Re: BAD NEWS..."Cash for Clunkers"...End of Custom Cars

It may be a voluntary proposal this time around but states like Kalifornia have repeatedly tried to push similar legislation as a mandatory bill.

In California’s case they wanted to set an arbitrary time frame, usually 15 years, and require that any car older than that be crushed and the owner paid a nominal fee for the vehicle. It wouldn’t matter if you were driving a ragged out oil burning Civic or a garage kept NSX. 15 years is 15 years.

Think about that for a minute, 15 years ago was 1993. That’s FD RX7s, NSXs, MkIV Supras if you’re into the import thing.

SEMA has been successfully in lobbying against this stuff because they organized grass roots efforts like the e-mail you received. Being voluntary just softens the general public up to the idea, next time they make it mandatory. That’s pretty much how all gun registration and then confiscation went in places like Canada, Australia, and the UK.

I’m the furthest thing from a bleed heart liberal but this sort of legislation unfairly targets minorities and the economically disadvantaged who otherwise can’t afford to buy new or later model cars. What percentage of users of this forum has bought, or rides around in an older car that they paid a few hundred bucks for?

These ideas are always pushed by the democratic party and the radical left based on half truths and junk science. Nobody questions that older cars have worse emission than modern cars. But does grandpa’s ’61 Impala that he drives on Sunday and in the 4th of July parade really pollute mote than Johnny Ricer who drives 40,000 miles of year in his 2005 Civic? Of course not.

This kind of legislation is bad news all around and we shouldn’t accept it at any level voluntary or otherwise.

Last edited by S T F U; 12-31-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:37 PM
JUST SAYIN...WHAT!?

THEWORSTDRIFTER THEWORSTDRIFTER THEWORSTDRIFTER THEWORSTDRIFTER THEWORSTDRIFTER THEWORSTDRIFTER THEWORSTDRIFTER THEWORSTDRIFTER THEWORSTDRIFTER THEWORSTDRIFTER THEWORSTDRIFTER

i have a hard time believing that this going to go anywhere.

by the way the OP basically just posted the plot to the animated movie "Robots"
Old 01-01-2009, 05:09 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Parts for old cars are rare enough already. Fuck this. I hope it doesn't happen.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

nosman757 has disabled reputation

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Car companys haveing problems? Since the government doesn't really want to do the bail out than they just put the consumers in a corner for them to buy something new? I don't know
Old 01-01-2009, 07:31 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by nosman757
I wonder if it has anything to do with the Car companys haveing problems? Since the government doesn't really want to do the bail out than they just put the consumers in a corner for them to buy something new? I don't know
Of course it does. It encourages people to get rid of their older junk cars for a new reliable car, and of course they're going to push domestic vehicles.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:02 PM
executive member

Turbobrick Turbobrick

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
Parts for old cars are rare enough already. Fuck this. I hope it doesn't happen.

I like being able to go to the pick and pull and get a rear axle for $70, transmission for $100.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:18 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Turbobrick
I like being able to go to the pick and pull and get a rear axle for $70, transmission for $100.
yeah same here. The act described in this thread wants to crush em not put them in junkyards I believe. Cars seem to be getting crushed too quick already as it is.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:22 AM
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda

Originally Posted by Turbobrick

Me too. And although I am also capable of seeing both sides, this act would simply push me to go out and buy a new IMPORT car, if anything. But in all honesty, I like my old skool civic.....they will never take what I enjoy away from me, unless, that is, they want to pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Come get some.

Oh yeah......and S.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:35 AM
<========8 ROBBCOCKS

Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx Tainty_McFshStx

Originally Posted by S T F U
It may be a voluntary proposal this time around but states like Kalifornia

Where is that?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:11 AM
DA LEPRAHKAHNZ GOLLD

TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt

Originally Posted by S T F U
It may be a voluntary proposal this time around but states like California have repeatedly tried to push similar legislation as a mandatory bill.

In California’s case they wanted to set an arbitrary time frame, usually 15 years, and require that any car older than that be crushed and the owner paid a nominal fee for the vehicle. It wouldn’t matter if you were driving a ragged out oil burning Civic or a garage kept NSX. 15 years is 15 years.

Think about that for a minute, 15 years ago was 1993. That’s FD RX7s, NSXs, MkIV Supras if you’re into the import thing.

SEMA has been successfully in lobbying against this stuff because they organized grass roots efforts like the e-mail you received. Being voluntary just softens the general public up to the idea, next time they make it mandatory. That’s pretty much how all gun registration and then confiscation went in places like Canada, Australia, and the UK.

I’m the furthest thing from a bleed heart liberal but this sort of legislation unfairly targets minorities and the economically disadvantaged who otherwise can’t afford to buy new or later model cars. What percentage of users of this forum has bought, or rides around in an older car that they paid a few hundred bucks for?

These ideas are always pushed by the democratic party and the radical left based on half truths and junk science. Nobody questions that older cars have worse emission than modern cars. But does grandpa’s ’61 Impala that he drives on Sunday and in the 4th of July parade really pollute mote than Johnny Ricer who drives 40,000 miles of year in his 2005 Civic? Of course not.

This kind of legislation is bad news all around and we shouldn’t accept it at any level voluntary or otherwise.
Man has a point....

Quick Reply: BAD NEWS..."Cash for Clunkers"...End of Custom Cars