Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

+20HP PERFORMANCE CHIP HONDA CIVIC

Old 05-07-2007, 06:24 PM
RagPhoto.net

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough
Default +20HP PERFORMANCE CHIP HONDA CIVIC

I was on ebay and i noticed they have about a million of these listed on there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20HP-...spagenameZWDVW

what is your thought? is it a good deal, rip off, scam? i'd like to know what people think about this and if anyone has tried. does it do what it says?thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: +20HP PERFORMANCE CHIP HONDA CIVIC

Rip off. It's not a chip at all, it's a resistor. Resistors like that are $0.20 or less.
So let me tell you how this works. You put a resistor in line with your intake air temp sensor. Now your ECU thinks that your intake air temp is lower than it actually is, so it makes the air/fuel ratio richer. So you're paying for something to make your car run richer across the board. Yay. I particularly like the "best results with premium gas" or whatever it says. Then you'll think that it's the resistor mod making more power, not the ECU advancing the ignition because the octane is higher.

Waste of money, don't be fooled by things like this that promise lots of free power. It doesn't happen. THe best thing that you can do if you want more power is to get your car tuned, then it will run correctly and efficiently (and gain power instead of just running richer).
Old 05-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Rip off. It's not a chip at all, it's a resistor. Resistors like that are $0.20 or less.
So let me tell you how this works. You put a resistor in line with your intake air temp sensor. Now your ECU thinks that your intake air temp is lower than it actually is, so it makes the air/fuel ratio richer. So you're paying for something to make your car run richer across the board. Yay. I particularly like the "best results with premium gas" or whatever it says. Then you'll think that it's the resistor mod making more power, not the ECU advancing the ignition because the octane is higher.

Waste of money, don't be fooled by things like this that promise lots of free power. It doesn't happen. THe best thing that you can do if you want more power is to get your car tuned, then it will run correctly and efficiently (and gain power instead of just running richer).
I love your posts.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:54 PM
RagPhoto.net

99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Fabrik8

i figured so but it dont hurt to ask. thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 07:10 PM
cizko

wastedfluid has a little shameless behaviour in the past

He's right. A complete waste of money. And the sad thing is.. people really using these things... I had a boy brag about it one time.. and his fuel burnoff was insane ... I bet he burned off more fuel (pupple pupple pop pop pupple pop) than he used driving.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Doin it in the dirt.

TWOFAWTY has disabled reputation

hehe they tag those things to be brought up in a search for any vehicle.

Hell even when I'm looking for parts for my Explorer I get "ADD 20 HORSEPOWER!!! EASY TO INSTALL!!!" results all up and down the page.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 AM
AKA: SHY_GUY

S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy

Its makes a "Dx" quicker than a Ferrari!!

My thoughts are that you shouldn't mess with stuff that is really important to the proper function of your engine without using quality parts.

$20 chip=bad part $200 Hondata s200=good part
$600 ebay turbo kit=bad parts $6000 Greddy kit=good parts

You'll save more money in the long run paying more upfront.

And if you have a richer burning civic and you throw premium into the mix, it will likely cause a back-up in the injectors and require a fuel system overhaul....
Old 05-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by shy_guy98ex
And if you have a richer burning civic and you throw premium into the mix, it will likely cause a back-up in the injectors and require a fuel system overhaul....
So..umm... please explain what you meant by that.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:58 PM
cizko

wastedfluid has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I run rich. And Premium. Working on some injection. Speaking of which.. Frost never called me. Busy guy.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:39 AM
www.CM-R.net

CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing

uh oh... fabrik8 is about to school somebody..