Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Performance ECU Chip

Old 11-16-2002, 11:03 AM
Building a Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
barneyls is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Performance ECU Chip

Hey, has anyone else put a performance chip in their car? I just put one in my car last night, with all the de-soldering and re-soldering it took me about 3 hours. But damn, It made alot of difference in my 92 Acura Integra. I'm now holding 3rd gear to 90+, and 2nd gear will snap your damn neck. Has anyone else had good luck with them too (or bad). The beauty of it is that the chip only cost me $20 and 3 hours of my time.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:12 AM
www.anchor-room.com

UNCLEBENZ has disabled reputation

$20 That one hell of a deal!
Old 11-16-2002, 11:18 AM
Building a Monster

hell yeah its a deal, the allmighty e-bay! I'm going to have to put an e-bay sticker in the back window after I finish building it entirely off of e-bay!
Old 11-16-2002, 01:16 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I'll help you out, email me...
3 hours is a really really long time. I do it in 1/2 hour... =)
Old 11-16-2002, 07:23 PM
emmett18

94b18c1 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Performance ECU Chip

Originally posted by barneyls
Hey, has anyone else put a performance chip in their car? I just put one in my car last night, with all the de-soldering and re-soldering it took me about 3 hours. But damn, It made alot of difference in my 92 Acura Integra. I'm now holding 3rd gear to 90+, and 2nd gear will snap your damn neck. Has anyone else had good luck with them too (or bad). The beauty of it is that the chip only cost me $20 and 3 hours of my time.
what kinda chip was it, hook us all up?
Old 11-16-2002, 08:00 PM
Building a Monster

a dude on e-bay named rpang is selling these chips. its not a mugen or anything. i takes your factory rev limiter to 8500 and boost your fuel/air mix. i have my MSD rev limiter set at 8000. and i'm shifting @ 7000. seems to be a good point for my car. you have to bid on them so someone could drive the price up but he's selling so many i think that you can find one. no one even bid against me. he starts the bidding at $20 so i think thats all he's really looking to get.
Old 11-17-2002, 04:45 AM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Originally posted by barneyls
a dude on e-bay named rpang is selling these chips. its not a mugen or anything. i takes your factory rev limiter to 8500 and boost your fuel/air mix. i have my MSD rev limiter set at 8000. and i'm shifting @ 7000. seems to be a good point for my car. you have to bid on them so someone could drive the price up but he's selling so many i think that you can find one. no one even bid against me. he starts the bidding at $20 so i think thats all he's really looking to get.
Those chips are alright for lightly modded cars... don't get to heavily modified without a real "chipped" ECU or upgraded computer though. For the RX7's, those things advance to timing also... which is bad once you start to get into pretty moderately modded cars.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:31 AM
Doin' (today) stuff

DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS

be careful about E-bay products. there is a guy selling "coolant bypass kits" and "timing advance kits" for SHO's and alot of other cars. This can be okay in some applications and yet a very bad choice in others. the coolant bypass essentially tricks the ACT into sending a lower temprature signal to your ECU thus shifting the fuel curve as if you actually had colder air coming into your MAF. This is what a CAI is intended to do. But since the air is not ACTUALLY colder it will cause you to run richer which can cause problems. Timing advance... Timing advance can be okay in small increments, and after doing some specific mods. However the kind of HP gains (20+) this kit states would push the timing advance to a dangerous level, causing your knock sensor to go bad prematurley and causing a myriad of problems in a few thousand miles. And who wants to by a new engine? Get the damn CAI and do your own timing advance. if i need it done i'll get a Ted Breaux LPM....
Old 11-18-2002, 06:01 AM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Originally posted by DoC-JoneS
be careful about E-bay products. there is a guy selling "coolant bypass kits" and "timing advance kits" for SHO's and alot of other cars. This can be okay in some applications and yet a very bad choice in others. the coolant bypass essentially tricks the ACT into sending a lower temprature signal to your ECU thus shifting the fuel curve as if you actually had colder air coming into your MAF. This is what a CAI is intended to do. But since the air is not ACTUALLY colder it will cause you to run richer which can cause problems. Timing advance... Timing advance can be okay in small increments, and after doing some specific mods. However the kind of HP gains (20+) this kit states would push the timing advance to a dangerous level, causing your knock sensor to go bad prematurley and causing a myriad of problems in a few thousand miles. And who wants to by a new engine? Get the damn CAI and do your own timing advance. if i need it done i'll get a Ted Breaux LPM....
Running rich is ALOT better than running lean. At least being rich, you'll just foul plugs... leaning out will blow motors.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:16 AM
Doin' (today) stuff

DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS

yeah well neither is good...

Quick Reply: Performance ECU Chip