Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Burned by Coltrane Welding and Fabrication

Old 05-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Dont guess, diagnose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入
Thumbs down Burned by Coltrane Welding and Fabrication

Ok so I got the car running again recently. However before putting the engine in, during reassembly of simply hand tightening the oil pressure sender into the back of the block (seriously hand tight) some how by my Herculean strength the block broke. This is not terribly common but is known in the Honda community to be a weak area on the block and has happened before to other people. I was shocked but knew it could be fixed.

Figured I would just cold weld it back together since I have seen it done before and it worked like a gem. So I prep the surface, removing paint, sanded and light grinding, etc. Get it together and over three days I layered the cold weld letting it cure completely before applying a new layer.

CLICK ON THUMBNAILS FOR LARGER PICTURE

So the engine is still on the hoist and everything looks good. I build oil pressure by cranking it over with the starter and it does NOT leak at all! I'm satisfied so I install the motor.

Everything runs really nicely, good low end torque for not putting it over 3500 RPM (break-in period). BTW I had the motor bored to 82mm using over sized CTR Pistons (compression is roughly 11:1 now) with GSR camshafts, yada, yada.

I inspect the motor while parked after getting the engine temp up, NO LEAKS! Drive around town, still NO LEAKS, get home and reinspect and there is a VERY slow oil leak which I find originating from the oil pressure sender. Its going so slow that I could have said the hell with it but I figured if its a slow leak now it will increase eventually.

Sunday: So my neighbor is actually a shop, Kirby's Repair and he lets me use his lift to pull the motor so I don't have to do it outside again. BTW he offered to weld it up but its stick, he has some Aluminum stick. I say okay lets do it. Get the engine out, prep, weld it leaks worse. We ONLY weld where the break is. We figure its porosity build up from the slag. BTW he lets me use his shop on a Sunday to boot. Anyways we don't get it to stop leaking and we wrap up the night.

Monday May 8, 2010: The next day I go to O'Reilly's to get some cleaning supplies and run into Danny Coltrane. He owns Coltrane Welding and Fabrication and I ask him if he might have some time to look at the engine for me. I figure it worth a shot since these guys are pretty much the best welders in the area from what I know of, hell its what they do EVERY DAY! He says sure and bring it down to the shop the next day. He never gives me a quote or even talks about labor cost (mistake!). However I expect to pay at least $100 because I think its worth it.

Take it to Coltrane's and let Danny see it and explain whats already gone on. I ask him specifically if they CAN fix it. He looks and thinks and eventually says "YES WE CAN FIX IT." Im starting to feel releaved becuase I find out back on Thurs-Friday that the wife is going to sea a few times before the deployment in September so she wont have ample time to find a house. Danny says they can start on it Tuesday because James is booked on work. I say ok not a problem, I expect to pay for the repair of course. Not a favor of friends like Kirby's. I also tell him I need the car ready no later than Friday because I want to leave for Norfolk. Really wanted to leave Wednesday.

Tuesday May 9, 2010: I come in and bring a oil pressure tester so they can test for leaks. James works on it later that day but calls that afternoon saying its still leaking after welding it up. They are MIG welding. He mentions its a tough spot with everything on the block. I say OK Ill come down on Wednesday to take everything off the block after class.

Wednesday May 10, 2010: Its exam day, James calls me in class to explain its not working and says I have a hours worth of labor charged ($75/hr), etc. He asks if I want to clean prep myself to save on labor. I tell him Im taking a test and cant and Im madly strapped for time I need him to take care of it but thanks for asking. I'm also getting desperate, I don't tell him that of course. I settle to myself that I don't mind paying $150 if they FIX IT!

I do my math exam and leave, get to Coltranes a about 11AM to change clothes, get tools, etc. Takes me about 45 minutes to remove everything on the intake side of the engine. I talk to Danny some more and I ask if they can TIG weld it. Danny says James wants to try MIG again and if that doesn't work they will call me. I say OK. However James has left for the day which really pisses me off because Im getting really delayed now. But I blow it off and go home. All the while these last few days I'm borrowing my father in laws Dodge Dakota.

Thursday May 11, 2010: MIG welding fails dramatically, Jason attempts to TIG weld and fails. Also after regrinding and prepping the surface they must have made the aluminum thin. Because some how they burn a hole or something in the block beside the oil filter mount and its leaking oil there. Not to mention there is a big sunken area in the metal there. This is something new that they created. Why did they weld there???? There was not a leak there nor did we stick weld in that area. Jason thinks that it can be fixed with some cold weld because the hole is small. I'm like WTF I didn't bring it hear just to put cold weld on the motor, otherwise I would have never brought it to them. So I clean it myself and apply the cold weld becuase Im really desperate. I leave and come back about 2:30 (they close at 3PM!!!). The cold weld is not cured! I know it wont hold like this. So I apply more cold weld and Jason says I can leave it there until I return from Norfolk, not a problem. Im really pissed off, Jason says they want to change me $250!!! but he talked to Danny and will try to get it under $200 otherwise thats the cost on their FAILED work.

Father-in-law lets me borrow his truck for over a week, find house, return to Pulaski on the 20th.

TODAY Friday 21 May: I go down to Coltrane's the cold weld has completely cured and we test it. Actually looks kind of solid like it will work. It FAILS to no real surprise.

After talking to Jason and knows I'm pretty pissed off I'm sure. I do everything I can to keep myself calm. I told him its not right and he agrees that its not fixed but also restates that Danny wanted to change me more.

I'm out $200 fucking dollars, they had my block for over a week because I didn't have much of a choice since they leave work early even after I convenienced them by taking all the stuff off the block to give them more area to work.

They said they COULD FIX IT! They DIDN'T FIX IT! They charged me for FAILED WORK!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is additional pictures of what it looks like when its intact. I cant use this block because it has a very bad spun bearing due to a clogged oil orifice on a main journal.

The shaded area is pretty much what broke. it broke in a "V" pattern.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:35 AM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro
Default Re: Burned by Coltrane Welding and Fabrication

Originally Posted by Wrench_Si
Ok so I got the car running again recently. However before putting the engine in, during reassembly of simply hand tightening the oil pressure sender into the back of the block (seriously hand tight) some how by my Herculean strength the block broke. This is not terribly common but is known in the Honda community to be a weak area on the block and has happened before to other people. I was shocked but knew it could be fixed.

Figured I would just cold weld it back together since I have seen it done before and it worked like a gem. So I prep the surface, removing paint, sanded and light grinding, etc. Get it together and over three days I layered the cold weld letting it cure completely before applying a new layer.

CLICK ON THUMBNAILS FOR LARGER PICTURE

So the engine is still on the hoist and everything looks good. I build oil pressure by cranking it over with the starter and it does NOT leak at all! I'm satisfied so I install the motor.

Everything runs really nicely, good low end torque for not putting it over 3500 RPM (break-in period). BTW I had the motor bored to 82mm using over sized CTR Pistons (compression is roughly 11:1 now) with GSR camshafts, yada, yada.

I inspect the motor while parked after getting the engine temp up, NO LEAKS! Drive around town, still NO LEAKS, get home and reinspect and there is a VERY slow oil leak which I find originating from the oil pressure sender. Its going so slow that I could have said the hell with it but I figured if its a slow leak now it will increase eventually.

Sunday: So my neighbor is actually a shop, Kirby's Repair and he lets me use his lift to pull the motor so I don't have to do it outside again. BTW he offered to weld it up but its stick, he has some Aluminum stick. I say okay lets do it. Get the engine out, prep, weld it leaks worse. We ONLY weld where the break is. We figure its porosity build up from the slag. BTW he lets me use his shop on a Sunday to boot. Anyways we don't get it to stop leaking and we wrap up the night.

Monday May 8, 2010: The next day I go to O'Reilly's to get some cleaning supplies and run into Danny Coltrane. He owns Coltrane Welding and Fabrication and I ask him if he might have some time to look at the engine for me. I figure it worth a shot since these guys are pretty much the best welders in the area from what I know of, hell its what they do EVERY DAY! He says sure and bring it down to the shop the next day. He never gives me a quote or even talks about labor cost (mistake!). However I expect to pay at least $100 because I think its worth it.

Take it to Coltrane's and let Danny see it and explain whats already gone on. I ask him specifically if they CAN fix it. He looks and thinks and eventually says "YES WE CAN FIX IT." Im starting to feel releaved becuase I find out back on Thurs-Friday that the wife is going to sea a few times before the deployment in September so she wont have ample time to find a house. Danny says they can start on it Tuesday because James is booked on work. I say ok not a problem, I expect to pay for the repair of course. Not a favor of friends like Kirby's. I also tell him I need the car ready no later than Friday because I want to leave for Norfolk. Really wanted to leave Wednesday.

Tuesday May 9, 2010: I come in and bring a oil pressure tester so they can test for leaks. James works on it later that day but calls that afternoon saying its still leaking after welding it up. They are MIG welding. He mentions its a tough spot with everything on the block. I say OK Ill come down on Wednesday to take everything off the block after class.

Wednesday May 10, 2010: Its exam day, James calls me in class to explain its not working and says I have a hours worth of labor charged ($75/hr), etc. He asks if I want to clean prep myself to save on labor. I tell him Im taking a test and cant and Im madly strapped for time I need him to take care of it but thanks for asking. I'm also getting desperate, I don't tell him that of course. I settle to myself that I don't mind paying $150 if they FIX IT!

I do my math exam and leave, get to Coltranes a about 11AM to change clothes, get tools, etc. Takes me about 45 minutes to remove everything on the intake side of the engine. I talk to Danny some more and I ask if they can TIG weld it. Danny says James wants to try MIG again and if that doesn't work they will call me. I say OK. However James has left for the day which really pisses me off because Im getting really delayed now. But I blow it off and go home. All the while these last few days I'm borrowing my father in laws Dodge Dakota.

Thursday May 11, 2010: MIG welding fails dramatically, Jason attempts to TIG weld and fails. Also after regrinding and prepping the surface they must have made the aluminum thin. Because some how they burn a hole or something in the block beside the oil filter mount and its leaking oil there. Not to mention there is a big sunken area in the metal there. This is something new that they created. Why did they weld there???? There was not a leak there nor did we stick weld in that area. Jason thinks that it can be fixed with some cold weld because the hole is small. I'm like WTF I didn't bring it hear just to put cold weld on the motor, otherwise I would have never brought it to them. So I clean it myself and apply the cold weld becuase Im really desperate. I leave and come back about 2:30 (they close at 3PM!!!). The cold weld is not cured! I know it wont hold like this. So I apply more cold weld and Jason says I can leave it there until I return from Norfolk, not a problem. Im really pissed off, Jason says they want to change me $250!!! but he talked to Danny and will try to get it under $200 otherwise thats the cost on their FAILED work.

Father-in-law lets me borrow his truck for over a week, find house, return to Pulaski on the 20th.

TODAY Friday 21 May: I go down to Coltrane's the cold weld has completely cured and we test it. Actually looks kind of solid like it will work. It FAILS to no real surprise.

After talking to Jason and knows I'm pretty pissed off I'm sure. I do everything I can to keep myself calm. I told him its not right and he agrees that its not fixed but also restates that Danny wanted to change me more.

I'm out $200 fucking dollars, they had my block for over a week because I didn't have much of a choice since they leave work early even after I convenienced them by taking all the stuff off the block to give them more area to work.

They said they COULD FIX IT! They DIDN'T FIX IT! They charged me for FAILED WORK!

[img]https://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac42/wax_hands/IMG_1372.jpg[img]

[img]https://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac42/wax_hands/IMG_1371.jpg[img]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is additional pictures of what it looks like when its intact. I cant use this block because it has a very bad spun bearing due to a clogged oil orifice on a main journal.

The shaded area is pretty much what broke. it broke in a "V" pattern.

[img]https://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac42/wax_hands/IMG_1375.jpg[img]

[img]https://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac42/wax_hands/IMG_1376.jpg[img]
that sucks man.

Last edited by The Nisbro; 05-21-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

sidewaysfox is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt you had to quote all of that, just to say it sucks. But I agree
Old 05-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Dont guess, diagnose

連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入

I just got done tearing the block down completely. I think its totalled as far as the block goes. They also damaged the oil filter surface and it will not seal now.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

DURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these parts

My god.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:35 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

I've never tried to TIG a block,so I can't comment directly,but I'm sure it's a PITA.It's probably very porous and impure.I definitely don't think MIG was the way to go either.Possibly braze it?
I've got a C1 block with a hole in the back that I want to experiment with,just to see how hard it is to TIG it.
I'm not sure what the standard procedure is in this situation for a welding shop.They definitely need to do something,since the block did function when brought in,and it looks like the filter mounting area is F'd now.At the very,very minimum,they should have not charged you at all for the work.I'd say they should have also given you some money towards a new block.

Chris
Old 05-23-2010, 08:40 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by TNGChris
I've never tried to TIG a block,so I can't comment directly,but I'm sure it's a PITA.It's probably very porous and impure.I definitely don't think MIG was the way to go either.Possibly braze it?
I've got a C1 block with a hole in the back that I want to experiment with,just to see how hard it is to TIG it.
I'm not sure what the standard procedure is in this situation for a welding shop.They definitely need to do something,since the block did function when brought in,and it looks like the filter mounting area is F'd now.At the very,very minimum,they should have not charged you at all for the work.I'd say they should have also given you some money towards a new block.

Chris

they are not easy to do. The alloy used in them is high on impurities, much like castings used for transmission cases. Generally, mig welding on them is the more effective way if a large amount of filler needs to be added (as is the case on this block).

That being said, I have the aforementioned block on a bench right now seeing if there is anything that can be done, and all I am going to say is there are many issues with it. Whether it was a problem before Coltrane got it or during its time there, I cannot, and will not, say. I'll put pics up later showing the issues.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

marshall has disabled reputation

Lots of things should've been done differently, trying to weld a dirty block was never going to work. I'm surprised anyone offered to even try. But I'd be upset too if a shop charged me that much...I realize they spent considerable time on it, but they should've known better..