Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Running in ESP

Old 03-20-2003, 02:49 PM
Dreaming of the Cone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Violator is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Running in ESP

Can anyone tell me exactly what is allowed in this class. When I bought my Cobra it was from a guy who ran ESP with SOLO2 group. He said he ran a race compound with it though. I don't have a race compound tires and needs to learn it much more than I do. Can someone please give me advice on running in this class or if I should change anything before the 30th at VMP. I mean it has springs, full exhuast, a huge K&N (which is why the guy told it is in ESP class). Also it has Khumo Supra 712s all around. I am not sure if the car is in the wrong class, I checked class rules but still find them comfusing.
Kevin
Old 03-20-2003, 03:01 PM
Master of the 6speed

specV33 is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like you are in the right class. You can run r-compound tire in ESP or you can run street tires. You will be more competitive with r-compound tires, but it is you choice. Autocrossing is also called Solo 2, so if the guy you bought the car from ran in ESP, you will be able to run in ESP also. With the mods you have done, you should also be able to run in STX class. This is a street tire class so you cant run r-compound tires. STX allows a max displacement of 5.1 liters on an N/A engine, so you should be ok. You could run ESP or STX, it is up to you.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:55 PM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

he also has a wing, and fiberglass hood, that takes him out of STX. i don't know what i was thinking when i said you'd be in STS. i totally forgot about the motor size. ah well. i'm not exactly sure if the hood or wing will knock you out of ESP though, i'd have to look that stuff up.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:41 PM
FF Driver

wahoo5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not positive, but I think the fiberglass hood takes you out of ESP and puts you in SM. The wing rule in ESP is:

2. A spoiler may be added to the rear of the car provided it complies with either of the following:
a. It is a production rear spoiler which is standard or optional equipment of a U.S. model of the vehicle, or an exact replica in an alternate material.
b. It is a non-production rear spoiler which is mounted to the rearmost portion of the rear hatch, deck, or trunk lid. The spoiler may extend no more than 10 inches from the original bodywork in any direction. Alternatively, in a hatchback, the spoiler may be mounted to the rear hatch lid at or near the top of the hatch; in such a configuration the spoiler may extend no more than 4 inches from the original bodywork in any direction. The spoiler may be no wider than the bodywork, and it shall not protrude beyond the overall perimeter of the bodywork as viewed from above. The use of endplates is prohibited. Angle of attack is free. The spoiler may not function as a wing.

You will have to determine whether your wing meets this rule. If not, take it off or run SM.

You might want to check your springs against this ESP rule:

Ride height may only be altered by suspension adjustments, the use of spacing blocks, leaf spring shackles, torsion bar levers, or change or modification of springs or coil spring perches. This does not allow the use of spacers which alter suspension geometry, such as those between the hub carrier and lower suspension arm. Springs must be of the same type as the original (coil, leaf, torsion bar, etc.) and except as noted herein, must use the original spring attachment points. Coil spring perches originally attached to struts or shock absorber bodies may be changed or altered, and their position may be adjustable. Spacers are allowed above or below the spring._ These allowances permit multiple coil springs, as long as they use the original mount locations. (7/2002).

You can read the rules online at http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/ . Hope this helps. I drive the red Cobra in STX.

David
Old 03-20-2003, 06:44 PM
Dreaming of the Cone

Violator is an unknown quantity at this point

Well This Cobra doesn't have a fiberglass hood or wing they remain stock. The white mustang that had the big wing and fiberglass hood was my friend Josh's car. My Cobra remains completely stock body wise. Thanks for the help, I think I may change over to STX, but I would like to remain competive in whatever class I decide. So if I run STX or ESP I can do shocks and struts right?
Kevin
Old 03-21-2003, 06:21 AM
Master of the 6speed

specV33 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, you can change the shocks and the struts