Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

What would the differance be?

Old 03-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec
Default What would the differance be?

Ok I just sold my 15's!!!

I am going back to a 17" rim but now I'm not sure what tire to get. The Azenis grip very well, but I'm wondering about a set of R compounds. I dont think I am going to do any engine bolt ons untill I have my suspension dialed in.

My questions are will an R conpound tire help me learn how to fine tune my suspension, or hurt me? If it isnt much differance; do you thing that the R compound will make up the differance in PAX times? (STX .798, DSP .818)

Much thank for the help

Michael

Future suspension mods Tein SS coilovers, Stillen or Eibach Anti Sway bars
Old 03-18-2003, 08:04 PM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

whew, that's a tuff one. unfortunately i don't have experience with either, but it looks like a close call. I'm not sure if Tom Bleh is still running his 325is in DSP, but i believe he is one of THE best autoxers in the nation. i remember one time last year, he came back from somewhere (i think nationals) at about 2pm, never walked the course, and won the event. definitely skills right there. --so you'd be up against some stiff competition.

ok, back to topic...
Old 03-18-2003, 08:24 PM
///m thrizzle

trip has disabled reputation

Yeah dont count on winning in DSP... Tom and Curtis are fast drivers but how serious do you want to become with autox. Are you really going to mod your car just to run well in certain classes of autox?
Old 03-19-2003, 05:01 AM
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Your car is better suited for STX if you ask me. Who did you sell the wheels to.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:55 AM
Trophy Fodder Racing

trader0231 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget that
Richard West
runbs the light blue mini in STX and is DAMN fast. So both DSP and STX is hard fought classes. I would suggest running whatever you feel like having fun in. That's the point, right?

Rob
Old 03-19-2003, 09:23 AM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

Originally posted by trader0231
Don't forget that
Richard West
runbs the light blue mini in STX and is DAMN fast. So both DSP and STX is hard fought classes. I would suggest running whatever you feel like having fun in. That's the point, right?

Rob

is Richard West going to continue to run the Mini? I heard he wrecked the Subaru RS down in Florida pretty good. If so, that eases the competition for me some. that RS was a beast.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:28 AM
Trophy Fodder Racing

trader0231 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am on the fence for long term as to continue running GS which I am now greatly out matched by the celica GT-S, Cooper S, and RSX Type S or moving into STS.

I love running on R-compound tires. There is no feeling like it. But I know I will like the daily driving of my car set up in STS better. So until I get the money and make up my mind I will run in GS and continue to have fun. I don't plan on winning nationals in my lifetime. This is a hobby for me and if I can do it, enjoy it, and not spend my life's money in it and still be occasionally close to the guys winnings national and regional events, then I am a happy man.

If you feel that your driving is not the problem with your performance on the course than don't get bigger rims. There is a reason that really great drivers run in 14 or 13 x 9 rims. Besides the fact that they are lighter.

R compound should never be compared to any street tire. Thats like the difference between a set of Kmart special gulf clubs and a set of Calloways.

If you have already set the wheels of the deal in motion, I hope you are happy and continue to have fun.

Good luck and hope to see you out there on April 6th. I drive the 2003 Honda Civic Si with the goofy rims.

Rob
Old 03-19-2003, 11:30 AM
co driver

as far as his rim choice, i believe him when he says the small diameter is bad for the Spec V. I've heard one Spec V owner say that he can start out from a light in 3rd gear, so i know the gearing is very short. plus the powerband is very low for a 4 banger.....180ft/lbs torque at 2000rpm. that's just insane. I think for his particular car, 17s would be a good choice do to the gearing. i myself will be getting 215/45 16s and hope it will work w/ my car. i have to go to 16s for the 215 width hoping that it will make a difference. the weights are about the same for the 15s and the 16s
Old 03-19-2003, 12:41 PM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

I love my 15's!

They are lot's of fun and I don't mind a little 3rd gear action. I actually think they look better and dont' want to take them off. My 17's just feel too heavy on the car now. I am going to take the 15's off tonight because it's supposed to rain tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:39 PM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by trader0231
Don't forget that
Richard West

Rob
FWIW, Richard has done better at Nationals than Tom has done so far. Both are damned good though.

Quick Reply: What would the differance be?