Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

NASA or SCCA

Old 10-11-2006, 04:03 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC
Default NASA or SCCA

which on do you guys think is better...considering joining one even though i don't have a track car...could do some pit work or move cones until i get my car...but which do you guys think is better
Old 10-11-2006, 04:22 AM
Registered Member

FFkarl has disabled reputation
Default Re: NASA or SCCA

SCCA has been great for along time on road courses, But NASA is starting to look better for open wheel guys that are on the east coast.

Im only referring to road course, ive never gone solo.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Autocross.US

jimbalaya has disabled reputation

I would go with the NASA membership. First, their HPDE program is great for getting alot of seat time with an instructor if you are just starting out (You can drive a street car too). The price is around $300 for 2 days (3-20 minute track sessions each day). Here's some more info on HPDE:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html

The SCCA doesn't have a program like this that i'm aware of.

As far as actual racing goes, i think NASA has more track events in this region than SCCA, but SCCA is slightly cheaper to run in.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:27 AM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
which on do you guys think is better...considering joining one even though i don't have a track car...could do some pit work or move cones until i get my car...but which do you guys think is better
Excellent question. I think it really depends upon what you want to do, and what you like. I am admittedly biased toward NASA because we're a much more flexible and progressive organization IMHO, but here goes:

For autocross, NASA events cost more money but offer more runs.

For rallycross or road rally, SCCA has great programs (NASA doesn't have any programs - we just did our first rallycross this past weekend and aren't sure if we'll ever do another one.)

For track schools, NASA has cornered the market with the HPDE program. (Our last one of the year is this weekend at Summit Point, actually... but we've got a single-day at VIR in November and we'll be at VIR-Full for 3 days in February.) SCCA doesn't offer a similar nearby program where a driver can get in-car instruction on a roadcourse for several hours per weekend.

For Time Trials, NASA does "CircuitCross" Time-Attack style autocrosses on smaller road courses (VIR-Patriot in particular) and open-passing timed sessions on roadcourses during the HPDE weekends, for the experienced drivers. SCCA doesn't do those things as far as I know (although their Solo I program is kinda close.)

With NASA, you can use a street car for any of the things mentioned above.

For roadracing, it's hard to compare to the DC Region SCCA's excellent MARRS series. They've been around forever and set the standard by which everyone else is compared. They unfortunately don't offer quite as much seat time in a weekend as NASA roadracing does, though. And they don't officially recognize the single best/cheapest roadracing class available right now IMHO (NASA Spec E30 for '87-'91 BMW 325i's.) But for something like a Spec Miata or Spec RX-7 or anything openwheel... SCCA's the best. Huge entry lists, tons of great competition & close racing, etc.

For working & becoming an official, SCCA volunteers usually get nothing (but *maybe* expenses if they've been doing it for enough years.)

NASA volunteers can get free hotels, free meals, and best of all... worker credits toward later events (work 2 roadcourse weekends as a flagger, timer, tech inspector, etc and drive one HPDE weekend for free as a result, etc.)

Also, money-wise, NASA yearly membership is cheaper than SCCA and you get a subscription to _Grassroots Motorsports_ magazine among other things.

Long story short, I'd recommend going to SCCA and NASA events and deciding for yourself. IMHO, all that really matters is that you're a part of one or the other or both, otherwise you'll be missing a whole lot of fun with cars.

Hope it helps,

Jon
Old 10-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

Moved to appropriate forum...
Old 10-11-2006, 05:34 PM
-DMD-

DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard

NASA
Old 10-11-2006, 05:37 PM
-DMD-

DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard

NASA does have rally events but for competition liscensed drivers only. Jon correct me if i'm wrong on this.
http://www.nasarallysport.com/
Old 10-11-2006, 06:02 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Absolutely correct, but the closest one to here is one per year in West Virginia, and I put that stuff on par with roadracing in terms of preparation and budget. I think it ends up costing a lot more per season than roadracing, actually... the entry fees are higher, the travel expenses are more, and the risk of car damage is much worse.

Jon
Old 10-13-2006, 10:13 AM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I should give my view. I think Jon has has spelled things out pretty well. I don't disagree with him anywhere, but I have a few things to add.

NASA _currently_ does not have the big "National" program that SCCA has. SCCA has regional racing that is great, but if you step it up a level there are people competing for points to qualify to race in the biggest racing events in the country for national championships (as far as numbers of entrants). The Solo II nationals have 1200 entrants, and the road racing national championships have what about 700 entrants now?

[ just to clarify that, NASA is a National organization, but they don't have one big unified national racing, autocrossing, etc program like SCCA has in all of their diciplines. NASA does have some classes that have a national championship, series, or an event or whatever, but across the board, they don't. Does that make sense? ]

As far as workers, NASA has great fringe benefits, but there is something to the comradierie that SCCA workers have developed. They are a 20,000 member "family" across the US. NASA may get there, but they just aren't YET.

NASA is still a young and growing organization. Getting in now is not exactly getting in on the ground floor, but it is one of the lower floors of a building that nobody is sure where the top is.

SCCA is long trenched in tradition. This is a double edged sword. They have developed a program to encourage young (14-21 YO) members, which is successful, but NASA is just a young organization that has a large number of members that are younger.

Jon got it right. I know that you can go to events and volunteer to be a worker (in a non-hot area) as a non-member. Go see how it works with both of them. I am sure Jon wants workers at NASA autocrosses in Richmond and Greg can use helpers at ODR events in VA Beach. See all of the different levels. There is no reason you can't be a member of both. They are not mutually exclusive. Go to the events before you spend your money. You will enjoy it.

Last edited by roadRacer; 10-13-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

i'll check out both...i know there are SCCA events here near me in Raleigh, but haven't heard too much about any NASA events...need to do some research and attend some events

Last edited by BLU CIVIC; 10-13-2006 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: NASA or SCCA