Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Lets talk breaks (Help)

Old 05-31-2003, 03:17 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec
Default Lets talk breaks (Help)

Ok next month I hope to be improving my stopping power with Stainless steal lines new pads and better fluid. So here is how I need help. For a FWD car what are the best pads? And, what is the best fluid?

My breaks size is good but they are still showroom stock so they arent as responsive as I would like (mushy at first then grab quick). Basicly I want a more linear feel to them.

Any help would be great
Thjnx
Michael

02 Nissan Spec V
Old 05-31-2003, 07:46 AM
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Just get some good pads for the front and some stainless lines all around. I think it is the Ultimates that many people like. It's kinda hard because everyone has the pad that they like the most. Call Matt and 1 704 481 8500. He is a nissan guy and can help you out (Works for Carbotech, but they sell many brands). I get the Metal Masters and the Ultimates confused. One type is not that great and the other is a great street pad for a good price.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:54 AM
Registered Loser

maxQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Ultimates are what you want. (Carbotech ) Metalmasters are old and not half the pad the Ultimates are. Most of the pads on Carbotech's site are for track events, the Ultimates are really the only no compromise street pad and provide 90% of the braking power of the much costlier pads for autox.

Honestly, I would hold off on stainless lines. I swapped mine out and... the only effect I could discern is that the brakes lines were now blue. IMO, I don't think it's worth $150... especially on an autox car.

OE fluid is fine for autox. Don't bother with it.

Andy
'91 SE-R
'94 325i
Team Grocery
Old 05-31-2003, 08:20 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Thanx guys I'll look into those pads. I just figured that breaks were the next logical step scince I just bolted up 15 more HP!!!!!!!!!! Man the new header and exhaust are awsome!!!!!! Now I need the stopping power!!!

Thanx again

Michael
02 Spec V
Team Grocery
Old 05-31-2003, 08:32 AM
Mr. Inconspicuous

Your brakes are pretty good to begin with. You may just want to bleed the system and change the pads then see what you think. Autocrossing does not require much out of the brakes. A good stock setup is ussually plenty of brakes for a bolt on NA car.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:50 PM
///m thrizzle

trip has disabled reputation

Autox doesnt let the brake temps stay that high to worry abuot boiling the fluid and having to heat up a sticky set of brake pads. I used ATE Super Blue fluid with a bleed, stainless lines, and Hawk HP plus pads for VIR. They worked great when they were warm but produced 9759438759483594375947594375983 things of dust (which is a lot) but i dont think any of the above is that necessary for autox. Good luck though.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:22 PM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

They are all correct. I use Performance Friction street pads. The Porterfield R4S are amongst the best. Hawk HP or HP+ are god for most cars. The reason I got the Performance Friction pads for the Mustang is that they are available from Autozone with a lifetime warranty. I paid about $60 for the pads once, and from now on they are free. That is pretty hard to beat. I have replaced them once already.

One thing to avoid for autocross is a true racing brake pad. Pads that are purely a racing pad compound will never get warm enough in a typical autocross and you will have worse brakes than the guy that has completely stock brake pads.

On the importance scale I would put brakes after tires, shocks, springs, sway bars, more horsepower. While they do make a differance, the best brakes are only going to make a small differance over what came stock in your car.

My first autocross car was a '64-1/2 Mustnag with 4 wheel drum brakes. Times were different then.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:47 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Got tires, springs, swaybar, more HP, no dampers out for the car yet so breaks are next.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:30 PM
///m thrizzle

trip has disabled reputation

Oh yeah I had one during spring, winter, Xmas, Easter and a long one during summer. ... get it?
Old 06-01-2003, 02:59 PM
Mr. Inconspicuous

Originally posted by vbspec
Got tires, springs, swaybar, more HP, no dampers out for the car yet so breaks are next.
You can get them you are just not willing to pay the 2K that it would cost from truechoice I am sure I can get you a set of 8611 fronts for your car for about $750. For rears you would just get the standard B14 rear Koni struts rebuilt to your needs. That would probably be about 500 or so for single adjustable. The Koni's I am talking about are the 8611 racing ones not the street ones that I have on my car. You could probably adapt a Tein setup for the car as well. My next set of struts will probably be the Koni 8611's.

Last edited by 98sr20ve; 06-01-2003 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Lets talk breaks (Help)