Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

heel toe...

Old 06-03-2003, 07:45 PM
co driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

well, i've been doing it for a day now. when i hit it right, it feels like it's all rhythm. sometimes, i feel like a guy w/ 3 left feet.

pulling up to a stop light and heel toeing into first is really funny. everyone else is quite and i come along w/ my GReddy exhaust loud as hell. i bet they're thinking, who is that idiot, what a ricer. well, i don't think i'm the latter at least.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:43 AM
wat

Sled has disabled reputation

Originally posted by lightningd
well, i've been doing it for a day now. when i hit it right, it feels like it's all rhythm. sometimes, i feel like a guy w/ 3 left feet
heh yeah i know how that is. usually i dont look at the tach when i do it, just put a little pressure on the shifter and when you hit the right rpm it'll get sucked into gear.

and yes i love it when people give me the look at stoplights
Old 06-04-2003, 03:50 AM
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

This is not about doing it while coming to a stop. That might be fun but the important thing is to do it as you are braking while going into a corner and then let the clutch out with the revs of the engine matching your speed/gear so that it slides in with jerking. This then lets you accelerate out of the corner (remember slow in/fast out) and still be smooth will cornering.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:39 AM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

obviously it's not for stop lights, but stop lights are the most frequent places you can practice the technique.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:36 AM
Registered Loser

maxQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tecnic1
rev match....heel toe....same thing...
aka 3 pedal downshift
No. Rev-match refers to ONLY matching revs on a downshift. Rev-matching doesn't involve the brake at all. Clutch-in, switch gear, blip throttle, clutch-out.

Heel-n-toe involves all three pedals and rev-match is one part of that technique.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:39 AM
Registered Loser

maxQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ZoomZoomH
hmm, interesting, I don't have a problem with my knee banging on the steering wheel, as I don't MOVE my knee at all (all the movements are BELOW the knee, a shift and a 'kick' of the ankle does the trick)
Well, maybe I should be more clear. In order to rotate my foot toe to the left, my knee hits the steering wheel. So I have steering wheel problems even before I even try to actuate the foot.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:37 PM
INCONCEIVABLE!

MeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to all

1st time i tried heel toe i just about killed my self, car slammed to a stop in the middle of the road
Old 06-04-2003, 04:54 PM

JRSCdSi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by maxQ
No. Rev-match refers to ONLY matching revs on a downshift. Rev-matching doesn't involve the brake at all. Clutch-in, switch gear, blip throttle, clutch-out.

Heel-n-toe involves all three pedals and rev-match is one part of that technique.
Thanks for correcting this. I was about to type the same thing.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:58 PM
co driver

Originally posted by JRSCdSi
Thanks for correcting this. I was about to type the same thing.
i was too lazy
Old 06-06-2003, 08:43 AM
Girly Car Pilot

SilverNB is an unknown quantity at this point

same here guys, heel-n-toe (not successful on every attempt yet) on most every downshift, in addition to being a good habit for the track it also puts less stress on your drivetrain (read: when done RIGHT)