Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

whats the dfference between the z6 and the y8 intake mani

Old 05-26-2004, 04:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CHIKNtoe2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow whats the dfference between the z6 and the y8 intake mani

ive seen pics of a y8 and a z6 side by side and on top of each other an dit looked like to me that the z6 had bigger ports......or maybe i had it backwards and the y8 had bigger ones? iuno can u help me out on this?
Old 05-26-2004, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

Not_Blazin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: whats the dfference between the z6 and the y8 intake mani

I forget why, but I read on quite a few places that the Y8 IM was better and the Z6 IM. Something to do with the runners and the shape the the upper portion of it. I prefer the Z6 engine to the Y8 though. Do you plan on doing the IM swap? If you wanna take a look I've got a stock Z6 in my civic and a Z6 with the Y8 IM/TB in my Del Sol.

Edit: Search the following websites:
Honda Tech
Turbo D16
SOHC Honda

Last edited by Not_Blazin; 05-26-2004 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

the y8 intake manifold has shorter fatter runners, sorta like the integra type R manifold. all it really does is shift the powerband towards topend... it also has a fatter intake chamber above the runners.. its preferred to help with topend power. That with b20/type r throttle body could help your powerband.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Not_Blazin is an unknown quantity at this point

yea... what gear said. Also, know that the Fuel Rail is different due to mounting points and the Intake Air Temp Sensor(?), which is located on the Z6 IM is not on the Y8 IM... On the Y8 engine it's located on the Intake before the TB.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Banned

CHIKNtoe2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: whats the dfference between the z6 and the y8 intake mani

Originally Posted by 04_Blazin
yea... what gear said. Also, know that the Fuel Rail is different due to mounting points and the Intake Air Temp Sensor(?), which is located on the Z6 IM is not on the Y8 IM... On the Y8 engine it's located on the Intake before the TB.

so would i be better off keeping the y8 or swappin it for the z6? im goin all motor and i want al the most possible power (who dosent) but i dont wanna spend liek 1000$ on some stupid shit that only gives me like 15 hp....u kno wut i mean? i plan on doing all the fuel and air sys's first then everything else....so if i got a BM adj' fuel pressure regulator......fuel rail.....zex injectors.....bosch platnium 4 plugs and i already got the 9.3 mm wires...and a fuel pump.....what IM would be the better buy? and will the z6 fit on mines without and extra modifications like have to take something else out to get that in.....is it direct bolt on is what im asking i guess?

ne wayz.....post back???
Old 05-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

i would stay with the stock IM. unless you want to spend like 250 for the skunk2 for the SOHC (which is fucking badass). the y8 is a direct bolt on swap and rather easy. however - there are subtle differences between the auto and 5 speed y8 intake manifolds. make sure you get the 5 speed IM if you have a 5 speed car or you will have to plug up a port or two on the IM.

lets see. injectors, fuel rail, FPR, and plugs have jack squat to do with which damn IM you are going to use. I have heard that the y8 moves your powerband up higher in the rev range - but that the z6 seems to flow better. i have yet to see any sort of charts that prove this but it's what i have heard. you really need to work in this order as far as modifications go...

intake
header
exhaust
high flow cat (it's VERY important to eliminate backpressure on an all motor single cam)
clutch/flywheel
cam/valve springs/retainers/valves
fuel pump

from there you can either choose to build the bottom end to rev the motor out or go nitrous. on the stock bottom end i would really not recommend revving it out past redline under any situations - and definitely not on the stock cam. all you would be doing on the stock cam past 7200 is stressing the shit out of the bottom end and the stock cam doesnt make power above 7k anyways.

the zex 59300 cam is badass. i have it in my car and i love it. pulls hard right to the stock redline, and it is supposed to keep pulling right on up to 8k. i have i/h/e/zex cam/fuel pump and i pulled an i/h/e b16 EK and an SI with work unknown...it makes a really big difference. i have also heard really good things about the crower cams for the SOHC.

anyways, if you do not want to spend aroung a grand to see 15 horsepower you should not be building an all motor setup.

Last edited by sk8rmike; 05-26-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

regarding your powerband shift question, i have seen dyno's before...if i can find them..regarding the intake manifold switch and its effects on the powerband. it does indeed shift it to the upper portion.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:37 PM

tatmonster has disabled reputation

well whatever you decide, i have a Holley Throttlebody brand new for d series for sale pm me.