Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

What next??

Old 09-28-2005, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ghb2oo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What next??

i am kinda torn on what to do to my GSR hatch next... Hopefully some of you more experienced tuners can help me get the most for my money.

I want to stay N/A, but i would like to have more low end and over all power as well. I want to do a number of things, but i am curious as to what will give me the most for my money as far as performance goes. I want to P&P the head, get stage2 crower titanium valve train, crower forged rods, high compression gasket, possibly bore the block to .20 over for 2.0 setup. I'm not really sure where i should start or what is best to do next. Can some of you more experienced N/A builders please advise me as to the smartest and most productive next step in my build. What is gonna produce the most gains? Thanks in advance for any and all help provided.

My current set up is in a 92 Si hatch...

JDM OBD1 GSR w/58k miles
AEM cold air intake
Skunk2 intake manifold
440cc injectors
High flow rail
B&M pressure reg.
Crower Stage2 cams
Skunk2 valve seals & retainers
DC Sports 4-1 header
Stage3 clutch
12lb flywheel
Extreme pressure plate & throwout bearing

Oh yeah, any advice on brand names is welcome too
Old 09-28-2005, 08:03 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA
Default Re: What next??

nitrous....best bang for the buck! loads of torque!
Old 09-28-2005, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

steronz steronz steronz steronz steronz

i would concur with the spray, but i'd say you need some more compression now that you've got the cams taken care of... i'm not gonna recommend brands, but something 12.5:1 should do well and give you the best bang for you buck. if you want to go with 84mm pistons or something, that'd be good, but even stock 81mm with higher compression would be substanially noticable. and since you only have 58k miles on your motor, it's harder to rationalize completely rebuilding it and boring it when you can just throw some domed slugs in there and run reliably for another 50k miles.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Function101 has disabled reputation

I'd say thrown in some ctr pistons and stand alone. Get it dyno tuned and you will be very happy with the results.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Banned

i really want an N/A setup that will run higher RPM's without risking damage to the engine... I would love to safely run around 9,200-9,600 Rpm's. What do i need to add to my setup to be able to do this?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Registered member

7k rdlne 7k rdlne 7k rdlne 7k rdlne 7k rdlne 7k rdlne 7k rdlne 7k rdlne 7k rdlne 7k rdlne 7k rdlne

Originally Posted by ghb2oo1
i really want an N/A setup that will run higher RPM's without risking damage to the engine... I would love to safely run around 9,200-9,600 Rpm's. What do i need to add to my setup to be able to do this?

you would only want to rev that high if you are making power up there. i would say for a good na build that is fairly priced , bore the block .25, high compression pistons,rods, cams valve springs and retainers and a good fuel management
Old 09-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

i'm assuming where it says "skunk2 valve seals and retainers" you actually meant to say valve SPRINGS and retainers... if that's the case then you should be good to go; the GSR bottom end should have no problem revving that high... you just need to tune it, and be aware that the honda ecu fuel map cuts out at 9000 rpms (above 9000, it sprays in whatever the value is at 9000), so what i do is dump a bunch of fuel in leading up to that point and then it leans out past that. not an ideal solution, but it works and still makes good power without ever getting dangerously lean.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Banned

actually, i have only gotten seals & retainers to this point... no new springs or new valves And i think i am gonna go CTR pistons like function said. They seem to boost compression very well on a GSR. Then maybe a Hondata high compression head gasket. I think those 2 things will be my next steps. Or should i P&P the head next?? What is gonna produce more and which should come first? More air flow or high compression.

and thanks to you guys for taking the time to help... its greatly appreciated
Old 09-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

high compression will be better than more air flow. and yeah, you'll need new springs to rev higher, and new valves couldn't hurt (less moving mass and all).
Old 09-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Function101 has disabled reputation

No problem man…You have a very solid structure to build upon. Hats off to you for doing it the right way

Honestly, the P&P will not do you much good right now. Compression is the only thing holding you back, this is where true power is made with N/A builds. You already have some decent headwork. Sure, you won’t be able to rev as high as you would like to… BUT, very few vtec motors make power past the 8700rpm mark anyway. If I were you, I would also look in to getting a quality header (Toda, Hytech, SMS, DTR...just to name a few) / exhaust (2.5 would be perfect).

The thinner headgasket is also a good choice, it will help to bump compression a bit. However, that is where I would start worrying about reliability issues. Your compression might be a little to high for your liking. Do you plan on daily driving this setup? 93-up octane would be a must( I'm sure you know that already)

All in all TUNING is key in any setup whether it is NA or FI. Your fuel mods are already set, what engine management will you be utilizing? With a good tune, higher compression pistons, quality header/exhaust, and your existing mods you will easily break the coveted 200whp mark. Good luck man