Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Valve Guide Installation

Old 08-04-2004, 09:10 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Valve Guide Installation

Ok I bought bronze guides and some new SS valves for my car, problem is im in WV and havent a clue about any machine shops around here. I dont really like trusting someone i dont know (machine shop wise) to mess with my stuff. Ive done all the work to my motor myself.

The reason im putting new guides in the head is because i have a valve that is slightly bent and i dont wanna risk just throwing new valves in the head w/o new guides. The head is a DOHC Aluminum Mitsubishi head.

I've read online that you can just throw the bare head in a grill at a certain temp, then push the guides out. Now that is fine and dandy but what is a safe temp to where i wont warp the head? Also what do i do to reinstall the guides?

I know im gonna have to reseat the valves since the guides wont be sitting in exactly the same place as before. So i dont need to know that. Any helpful tips or any advice would be much apprecieted!
Old 08-05-2004, 05:20 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Valve Guide Installation

i usually press them out.....i have a set of drivers. as for heating the head up and pushing them out, it can be done, but i dont like to....i would say 300ish would be the limit i am not sure on that.

i have a 4G63 head sitting here in front of me actually

and as for lapping valves...i am not much on that. i always use a kwik way valve grinder to get everything set right. lapping will only work on a small amount of material. where at in WVA are you?
Old 08-05-2004, 05:28 AM
hybrid no more :(

Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert

you really got the basics of it.. heat the head to certain temerature. make sure you use some kind of heating that heats the entire head to 300 degrees F. do not use a lighter, burner.. you can warp the head. also for the guides, freeze them for an hour before installation. it makes it easier. after that is done, the valves need to be reseated. i've only know about hondas.. also this is for iron guides not bronze. bronze guides may not need to be frozen. i'm guessing mistubishi will be similar. you also may need a tool to remove/install guides, a valve guide driver. HTH
Old 08-05-2004, 07:59 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally Posted by fc735
where at in WVA are you?
Im in Teays Valley, it's 20min west from charleston on 64W and about 20min east from huntington on 64E.

I contacted a guy up here about it at a local machine shop and he wants $6-$10 to install each guide, and $150 to recut the valves and regrind the seats.

To bad i dont have that much money to spend on it right now
Old 08-05-2004, 09:36 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

valves and guides just arrived..... damn this sucks
Old 08-05-2004, 09:49 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

that is a good price though. 300 to do a full valve job is good, very. does he check speing seat pressure too? i am sure he does...
Old 08-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Originally Posted by fc735
that is a good price though. 300 to do a full valve job is good, very. does he check speing seat pressure too? i am sure he does...
i dont know if he does but i have already dont that when i first assembled the head. If i can remember right they came out to 90ish pounds or so, or was it 190. Hell it's been so long. other thing i wish i could buy right now are stiffer springs and retainers, but money cuts me short, again. Im most likely just gonna wait till i get back to VA to do any work to the head. Id rather have a wise elder look over my should when i work on it, giving me tips and showing me wrong from right. Gotta learn this stuff sometime!
Old 08-06-2004, 02:21 PM
The Pro to call.

yeah. but remember that you need to check the installed height of the springs when you assemble it, since that will affect the spring seat pressure...