Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Guide for newbies

Old 04-30-2003, 10:19 AM
co driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd
Default Guide for newbies

ok, vetrans, we always get the "how do i start autoxing" questions. on my web page i'm going to write up an article about that stuff. so what would you suggest to the newbies? i will be compiling what everyone says into the article.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:44 AM
poop

Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate

you know Nate right (criphos)? he has a REALLY nice one i'm sure he wouldnt mind letting you borrow and edit up on his Autox Clubs site. ill get the url
Old 04-30-2003, 10:45 AM
poop

Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate

http://www.cbvcp.com/ssscc/novice_corner.html
Old 05-04-2003, 04:23 AM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

yeah, i haven't talked to him in a while actually.

anyone else gonna post to this hot topic?
Old 05-04-2003, 07:43 AM
Master of the 6speed

specV33 is an unknown quantity at this point

all newbies should buy the book The Secrets of Solo Racing by Henry Watts. The book is great. It tells newbies everything about autocrosses, including what to do before autocrosses, how to prepare for an autocross, and a lot of technical stuff about lines and different kinds of turns.

Here is something about the book:
http://www.oregonpca.org/Library/track/solorace.htm
Old 05-04-2003, 06:46 PM

turbochad is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I got a shit load of suggestions for newbies....

1) Come EARLY for your first few events. Walk the course as many times as you can. Even better, find an experienced person and walk with them... they can point out how different sections "flow"

2) Add more air to your tires. Street pressures are not autox pressures (unless you are like me and put an amazing 2000 miles on your car last year and only drive it at autocrosses).

3) Mark the side walls of your tires at 3 or 4 places.. This will tell you if the tires are rolling on to the side wall.

4) Bring a pressure gauge. Once you've gotten your pressures about right, you will not have to divate much from them unless you make other changes to the car.

5) You'll be there a while. Dress correctly and bring water/drinks. You will be REQUIRED to work after you run. Working is easy, but this is a volunteer sport so helping out is mandatory.

6) Talk to people or ride with people if possible. Autocrosses tend to be very nice people and are willing to help you out.

7) Clean the shit out of your car. Litterally, and I don't mean wash and wax it. You don't want stuff flying around..

That's all I can think of right now, I'm going back to researching porsches, I need a new toy..
Old 05-04-2003, 06:55 PM
TSSSSSSSSSSS

MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos

as a newbie, there are a few things I'd like to have on a guide.
What to do when you get lost on the course.
What to do if you notice a cone out of place and dont want to get penalized for it.
how to fix the mistakes you don't know your making (ie. got an off course but dont know where)

then of course theres the obvious stuff: what to bring, what can i change while there, should i strip my car?, what will get me in trouble, how can i practice?, and a whole bunch of other things im sure youve already thought of.

but a few of those id like to see somewhere because i either still dont know, or had to find out. but its great that people like you are willing to help out people like me.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:57 PM
co driver

Originally posted by EJU MX5
then of course theres the obvious stuff: what to bring, what can i change while there, should i strip my car?, what will get me in trouble, how can i practice?, and a whole bunch of other things im sure youve already thought of.
this is more of the area i was leaning towards, but it may expand later on. preperation is a big thing really, which makes the race day go so much easier. you can concentrate a lot more on racing, course, etc., if you don't have a ton of other stuff to worry about.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:06 AM

monaco is an unknown quantity at this point

If you come upon a cone that is not a pointer and you did not knock it down, you should stop at that cone (not the end of your run) and point it out to a courseworker and then after he acknowledges it go the most direct route, not through the course, to the finish line to get a re-run. Some clubs may not grant a re run for a misplaced cone so ask the specific rule for the club. I think VMSC does not give re runs for misplaced cones, but I am not 100% on that ask during the hour long driver's meetings.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:18 PM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the long time well accepted newbie handbook. I am as far from a newbie as anyone can get in this sport, but I picked up a few things first time I read this:

(un)Official newbie handbook

Quick Reply: Guide for newbies