Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Turbo question jdm b18c

Old 08-16-2011, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Turbo question jdm b18c

Alright, so I have finally decided to turbo my 98 Integra gsr. It has a swapped jdm b18c(not type r). I don't want any crazy power as this is my daily. I plan on something around 250-275hp. So probably around 7-8 psi. This will be on stock internals. From what I researched as long as I have good fuel management and a professional tune, it will be a reliable daily. Not looking to spend allot if money, so im piecing it together finding deals here and there. Im looking at turbos right now and I have a friend that will sell a rebuilt. 51 trim turbo off a gm turbo diesel truck for $150. I also found another garret t3turbo with minimal shaft play .61 trim oil and watercooled for $100. I was just wondering which one would be better for what I want. Im on the highway alot at around 3500-4000rpms usually so I don't want to make full power at that time. Thanks
Old 08-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Turbo question jdm b18c

You aren't going to make full power at low load just because you're in whatever arbitrary RPM range.. Read about how turbos work before you decide what to buy.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

tcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond reputetcraven92 has a reputation beyond repute

turbos work for the most part. was just wondering which of the two would be better. What I meant to say is that I don't want it
spooling like crazy at those rpms. maybe start spooling faster when im really on the gas instead of casually cruising around
Old 08-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Shoryuken!

Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You aren't going to make full power at low load just because you're in whatever arbitrary RPM range.. Read about how turbos work before you decide what to buy.
Fabrik is right. Also, I wouldn't fool with either of those turbos, if I were you. The GM turbo may have a different turbine housing flange (I'm not sure), from the standard T3 turbine flange that Honda turbo manifolds are so famously associated with. For that particular power goal, I would save up the dough, and buy a standard journal bearing Garrett, Turbonetics or Precision T3/T04 50 trim, with a .63 a/r exhaust housing, as that straight T3 Garrett you mentioned (if it IS in fat, a straight T3), will make your goal, but may be at the high point of its efficiency range, plus, you won't have to worry about plumbing coolant lines with the journal bearing turbos.

Have patience, do it right the first time and don't skimp out. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

If you don't want boost in that range, wouldn't he need a big turbo? IDK much about snails either lol
Old 08-16-2011, 05:54 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Originally Posted by ShawnD
If you don't want boost in that range, wouldn't he need a big turbo? IDK much about snails either lol
smaller the turbo, the quicker it will see full boost. he doesnt need a giant baby sized turbo if thats what you mean, a t3/t04 will get him what he wants
Old 08-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Silva Bullit DC
Fabrik is right. Also, I wouldn't fool with either of those turbos, if I were you. The GM turbo may have a different turbine housing flange (I'm not sure), from the standard T3 turbine flange that Honda turbo manifolds are so famously associated with. For that particular power goal, I would save up the dough, and buy a standard journal bearing Garrett, Turbonetics or Precision T3/T04 50 trim, with a .63 a/r exhaust housing, as that straight T3 Garrett you mentioned (if it IS in fat, a straight T3), will make your goal, but may be at the high point of its efficiency range, plus, you won't have to worry about plumbing coolant lines with the journal bearing turbos.

Have patience, do it right the first time and don't skimp out. Good luck.
Thanks alot man! Just to confirm that GM turbo is a t3 flange. I really hadn't heard about a water and oil cooled turbo before until earlier today. Sounded odd to me, but made sense. I guess since I'm not going crazy with power then I won't need it. Either way thanks for the information. =p
Old 08-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ShawnD
thats what I though but wasnt sure =0
Old 08-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crnchy wen Blac
smaller the turbo, the quicker it will see full boost. he doesnt need a giant baby sized turbo if thats what you mean, a t3/t04 will get him what he wants
Thanks that is what I was looking for!