Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Turbo efficiency

Old 09-07-2003, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Turbo efficiency

I am getting really frustrated. These people of at b15sentra.net are argueing with me that a turbo is less efficient then superchargers. Many of them think a turbo heats the air more then a supercharger because its next to the exhaust. Anyone wana help me out? I have told them the facts, and posted a quote from Mike Kojima (engineer, writes for scc and some other magazines). They still dont believe me. I guess what they say about argueing over the internet is true.... oh, here is the link: http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1
Old 09-07-2003, 12:48 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

the compression heats it not the exhaust.. they do the same shit just in different ways..
Old 09-07-2003, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
the compression heats it not the exhaust..
Thats what I said.... They just dont believe me.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:29 PM
What FMIC?????

MKNTRAXX MKNTRAXX MKNTRAXX MKNTRAXX MKNTRAXX

and thats what intercoolers are for...

and not many superchargers have that as an option.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:02 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

Boost is boost. Physics dictate that when air is compressed, it raises temperature.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
Boost is boost. Physics dictate that when air is compressed, it raises temperature.
Not all boost is created equal.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

here ya go and i quote from Civic Duty by Alan Paradise ISBN 0837602157
:
"Unlike turbochargers, superchargers do not require the use of exhaust gases to drive them. A supercharger works off a belt, much like any other accessory connected to your engine. This is the main reson superchargers have a lower efficiency rating than turbochargers. However, it is also the reason the power is more responsive on the low end of the power band"

you win!
Old 09-09-2003, 06:57 AM
Iridium V

MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute

Although turbochargers heat air slightly more than supercharges because of their proximity to the manifold and turbine, they are very similar in their heat transfer as a result of compression. Turbochargers take much less horsepower away from the motor to operate then superchargers. Although superchargers make boost at all RPMs, if you are smart and 1- flowmatch your turbo to your manifolds and ports and 2- select a turbo that makes boost at low rpm and is efficient at the boost you're looking to run. You are looking at a setup that is far more adjustable than a supercharger and will make more power in the long run. (You can only make a pulley so small, you can tune a wastegate all you want.)
Old 09-09-2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by MGBRaceman
Although turbochargers heat air slightly more than supercharges because of their proximity to the manifold and turbine, they are very similar in their heat transfer as a result of compression. Turbochargers take much less horsepower away from the motor to operate then superchargers. Although superchargers make boost at all RPMs, if you are smart and 1- flowmatch your turbo to your manifolds and ports and 2- select a turbo that makes boost at low rpm and is efficient at the boost you're looking to run. You are looking at a setup that is far more adjustable than a supercharger and will make more power in the long run. (You can only make a pulley so small, you can tune a wastegate all you want.)
I swear, I am not getting into this arguement again. You are wronge about the heat, thing. If you want to know why, go read that thread on b15sentra.net
Old 09-09-2003, 10:30 AM
i probably hate you

Mr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these parts

centerfugal superchargers are only good for top end. and the blades of a roots type tend to heat up.

Quick Reply: Turbo efficiency