Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

tranny trouble

Old 08-10-2004, 05:42 PM
OBD II sucks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mudstuck98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tranny trouble

I just swapped a transmission into my jeep cherokee. I bolted it up and everything seemed fine. However, when I took it out for a spin today and actaully got going fast enough to hit 5th gear, it would not go into 5th. When I shift into 5th, the shifter will move into place, but when I let out the clutch there is nothing. Its basicly like I'm shifting into nuetral.

All the other gears work fine expect for 5th. I got this transmission out of U-Wrench-It, so its not like its a brand new piece. For all of you who know about Jeep trannys, this is an AX-5. At first I thought it was the synchros, but even double clutching it will not work. I know this forum mainly deals with cars and other imports, but I thought you guys might be able to help me find what the problem is. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:50 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: tranny trouble

the shifter did get seated in all the way i assume? it has the one with the locking sheet metal cup IIRC.... the main issue i can think of (it was bout five months ago when i had one apart) is the shift shaft for fifth having the rollpin sheared. but, i want to say that the fork for fifth also works reverse, but i cant remember that well. it may have a seperate one for reverse come to think of it (i have torn down about ten trannies in the last year )

i assume it was bought with a warranty? call them and tell them its messed up. there is no on car repair for it as far as i can see, you will have to pull it out again
Old 08-10-2004, 06:26 PM
OBD II sucks

mudstuck98 is an unknown quantity at this point

well I think I may have found the problem. The snap ring that holds 5th gear into place is probably busted. That means I gotta drop the whole tranny out again, take the rear housing off, and replace the ring.

God I love tranny's!!!
Old 08-11-2004, 02:42 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

at least ya didnt do this....

Old 08-11-2004, 04:35 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

god do i hate fucking w/ tranny's too...
Old 08-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Old School Beast

PoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these parts

all that damn bud light did it .... hehe
Old 08-11-2004, 06:03 PM
The Pro to call.

nah..i had to have it to calm me down....6k RPM clutch drops with 6psi on clutch engagement and AWD dont mix