Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

tick in a 97 dx civic sedan. and motor swap questions ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Old 08-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
importonly importonly importonly importonly importonly
Default tick in a 97 dx civic sedan. and motor swap questions ADVICE PLEASE!!!

i have a stock d16y8 civic dx sedan with 187999 miles on it. i have a tick i think its not really loud but its there, my question is how bad is this for the motor and will it make the motor not last as long? should i get it fixed or since its not very loud and noticable should i just let it be? what excatly is it doing or what makes it bad?

ON A different note in the future i want to do a motor swap how much will it cost to get the motor and labor and what motor should i be looking at for good gas milage and for it to last as long as possible. if anyone can give me good advice on a swap or shed some light it would really help thanks. im looking for good gas milage and a motor that will fit and last long if i do proper maintance and take car of it. Thanks also can you tell me where to get the motor swaps and generally how much they cost even links to websites will help thanks agian.
Attached Thumbnails tick in a 97 dx civic sedan.  and motor swap  questions  ADVICE PLEASE!!!-img_20110527_144432.jpg   tick in a 97 dx civic sedan.  and motor swap  questions  ADVICE PLEASE!!!-img_20110527_144610.jpg  
Old 08-31-2011, 03:46 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: tick in a 97 dx civic sedan. and motor swap questions ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Originally Posted by importonly
i have a stock d16y8 civic dx sedan with 187999 miles on it. i have a tick i think its not really loud but its there, my question is how bad is this for the motor and will it make the motor not last as long? should i get it fixed or since its not very loud and noticable should i just let it be? what excatly is it doing or what makes it bad?

ON A different note in the future i want to do a motor swap how much will it cost to get the motor and labor and what motor should i be looking at for good gas milage and for it to last as long as possible. if anyone can give me good advice on a swap or shed some light it would really help thanks. im looking for good gas milage and a motor that will fit and last long if i do proper maintance and take car of it. Thanks also can you tell me where to get the motor swaps and generally how much they cost even links to websites will help thanks agian.

video of the tick?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: tick in a 97 dx civic sedan. and motor swap questions ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Tick? In sedan?

If it's got 190k miles on it, there are lots of things that could be ticking. It's most likely valve tick though, because after that much mileage the valvetrain can get a little loose. Might be able to be solved with a simple valve adjustment. I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're planning on doing a swap though.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Pele has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If it's got 190k miles on it, there are lots of things that could be ticking. It's most likely valve tick though, because after that much mileage the valvetrain can get a little loose. Might be able to be solved with a simple valve adjustment. I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're planning on doing a swap though.
I forgot where I read it, but I remember it being from a reliable source such as the factory service manual for my old 1993 Civic... Honda recommends the valve lash be adjusted every 15,000 Miles.

Seemed pretty absurd to me, seeing as how it also recommended oil changes every 7,500 miles.

I did the adjustment once and checked it 30,000 miles later. It was still spot on.