Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

test pipe smoke.

Old 09-03-2005, 07:47 AM
<3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate
Default test pipe smoke.

I just put test pipes on my 350 almost 2 weeks ago and they are still spiting out smoke from the exhaust. They are cheap resonated pipes and only smoke at idle, white smoke, and it just has that "no cat" smell. I know that the coating on the resonators has to burn off but, it's been a while and there still doing it.

Any one know how long something like this should take? I've had new exhausts before and those might smoke a little for 2 days or so, but this shit just keep going.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Needs a fast car now

NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET
Default Re: test pipe smoke.

Originally Posted by Axelerate
I just put test pipes on my 350 almost 2 weeks ago and they are still spiting out smoke from the exhaust. They are cheap resonated pipes and only smoke at idle, white smoke, and it just has that "no cat" smell. I know that the coating on the resonators has to burn off but, it's been a while and there still doing it.

Any one know how long something like this should take? I've had new exhausts before and those might smoke a little for 2 days or so, but this shit just keep going.
On the 350Z I worked on he had borla exhaust and I put on the twin test pipes and I had no smoke once I first put it on, I also got the CEL eliminators for them.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Fighterer

Abysalone will become famous soon enough

Rich maybe? Reset the ECU.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yes, reset the ECU, not having a cat will make the ECU freak out if it isn't used to it. The CEL elims are a good idea also, but a little bit of a hack.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

****Axelerate*****

I have reset the ECU and I have no CEL.

The smoke is white so it's not running rich, I beleive it's moisture related, but dont kow how to go about fixing it.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Fighterer

Abysalone will become famous soon enough

i dont know alot about these motors, but if its water then youve got some bigger problems. Does it do it all the time or just during startup? Does it go away after the car has run a few minutes and got to operating temps.
Dont know what I was thinking when I said your rich.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:42 AM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

Only does it at idle after the car warms up. No smoke at all under acceleration.

I beleive it to be from moisture that exits through the exhaust getting trapped in the resonators and heating up causing the steam. The car was fine 2 weeks ago before I put them on. I'm probably gonna get a different set without resonators.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

axis45 has disabled reputation

maybe have an internal engine problem, burning oil when it warms up and the oil thins out. why didnt you notice it before? because the cats due a good job of burning up unburned particals such as fuel and oil so you dont see it. an engine with cats and heavy oil usage will be too much for them and you will see it anyway. the rings in my old car when bad and i didnt notice it until i removed the cats and noticed a light white smoke coming from the exhaust.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:14 PM
<3

I doubt it. The car only has 25,000 miles, doesnt burn oil and runs strong. This is the only problem I have and it doesnt throw any codes.

I also found out that some others have had similar problems with the same test pipes. I am getting some non resonated pipes next week so I'll see how those go.

Thanks for the help though.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:03 AM
Needs a fast car now

NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET

Originally Posted by Axelerate
I doubt it. The car only has 25,000 miles, doesnt burn oil and runs strong. This is the only problem I have and it doesnt throw any codes.

I also found out that some others have had similar problems with the same test pipes. I am getting some non resonated pipes next week so I'll see how those go.

Thanks for the help though.
Just letting you know a 350Z with no resonators sounds RASPY it actually sounds really weird, you'll see.