Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Swaping to a JDM RSX Type R motor

Old 09-17-2003, 12:53 PM
Chillaxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Default Swaping to a JDM RSX Type R motor

Those of you who read Milano_lude's post, he was actually posting for me. I may need some opinions more so than answers.

I have a 2k1 civic lx, automatic , and i wanna do an engine swap within a atleast a year to a JDM rsx type-r motor. I have an extended warranty on the car (my folks got it) which covers it for 100k miles. Within the next 3 months, i will be putting on Tein coilovers, sway and strut bars, and better brakes. From there i want to save for the engine, a whoppin $5,800.

Now, first off, do you think its worth it? How much do you think the swap will be including the installation of the clutch and a slightly altered center panel (it is an automatic)?

I mean, i dont know much about this stuff, i learn as i go, i just know what i want more of, and lately, it seems like HP!!! I got a decent job, so over the months i can afford making changes. But considering this isnt a play car, its my car that i must use to get around with, should i be investing this kind of money into it for these kinds of changes?

Id appreciate any feedback. And im sorry if this is the wrong thread to put it under, but i felt since you all know best what kind of money will need to be spent for the type of work i want done, then who would know best except for those who do this kind of work.

Last edited by Mr.6; 09-17-2003 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:58 PM
been around awhile.

zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas

You could probably buy an older civic hatch, do a integra type R swap and be faster for cheaper.

Sooo, I'd say its not worth it.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:00 PM
been around awhile.

zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas

Ahh yes, and you could still use the slowness for a DD...
Old 09-17-2003, 01:00 PM
I'm audi5000.

nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere.

5800?????
i think the answer to your "is it worth it" question is very obvious.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:17 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

If you have the money, time, patience, and know how to get in, go for it. A type R 2001 Civic would be pretty hot....for real.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:22 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Any idea what it will cost me, engine and anything else i will need, plus labor?
Old 09-17-2003, 01:24 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

No. That's all on you dude, because I haven't even looked into k-series stuff. Probably gonna cost a pretty penny for everything though.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:19 PM
I'm audi5000.

nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere.

by the time you finish, you'd probably end up paying close to 10 grand just to get the swap completed. not to mention you'd be going from auto to a 6 sp. manual, and the extra work that comes along with that.

definitely not worth it in my opinion.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:01 PM
//

theJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these parts

yea, i think it'll cost around the 10k mark, maybe more, a 6-sp tranny conversion plus, correct me if im wrong but, i don't think any shops around here have ever swapped a k-series engine in a civic? so it'll take some research, research is time, time is money.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:59 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Any idea of any shops in N.N., Hampton, or VA beach that do good work and might be up for the challenge? Because i did a little more research and found it has been done before (with the usdm of course): http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/f.../0301ht_heart/

And dont get me wrong zappas, you make a very valid point, only thing is, so many people have hatches and are doing the same thing, and i wanted to do something that really hasnt been done with my model car. Atleast not here on this coastside (from what ive read).

Quick Reply: Swaping to a JDM RSX Type R motor