Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Stuck Axle Nut

Old 12-07-2004, 08:01 AM
RIP MEAST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiny Tim will become famous soon enough
Default Stuck Axle Nut

Im pulling out my motor. Everything is done except for the passenger side suspension adn thats because i can not get this axle nut off. Ive tried heating the bolt, hitting it with an impact gun, breaker bar. The fucker wont come off. Any ideas?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:29 AM
follow me if you can

bigd0915 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stuck Axle Nut

maybe you can use a sawzall or dremel and cut the nut in half?

or use some pb blaster and a breakerbar with a big ass piece of steel pipe for leverage.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:23 AM
loved by all

ForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by bigd0915
maybe you can use a sawzall or dremel and cut the nut in half?

or use some pb blaster and a breakerbar with a big ass piece of steel pipe for leverage.
i have the same problem right now. the steel pipe and breaker bar idea only makes you bust your ass when the breaker bar breaks. i just experienced that one last night. i just bought a nice ass ingersol rand inpact and i hope that will work. what kind of impact are you using and whats the torque rating?

edit: and my next step would probably be getting a cut off wheel and cutting the damn thing off.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:26 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

go work out, then try it again.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

acetylene torch, cut it off but just be careful not to damage the axle...unless you dont give a fuck about it at which point blast away.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Originally Posted by sk8rmike
acetylene torch, cut it off but just be careful not to damage the axle...unless you dont give a fuck about it at which point blast away.
I think this is going to be the answer...hopefully Josh can yank something from work. haha
Old 12-07-2004, 05:43 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

i have never met an axle nut i couldnt break loose.

IR titanium impact with 1000ftlbs tq in reverse. if that dont get it....my 3/4 drive will.

you are doing lefty loosey, right?

Originally Posted by sk8rmike

yes, but unless you are good with a torch, you run the risk of damaging the hub bearing. or the hub.

it is a skill to be able to remove a nut from a bolt, leaving all of the threads, using nothing more then the good ole blue tipped wrench.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Nuts off. We did not have access to a 1000ft/lbs air gun though...only like 100ft/lb one.